Brewtarget 1.1 - Free open source brewing software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just used this software for the first time this weekend, and I must say that it is very good for free software. It was pretty easy to figure out and I hit all my numbers dead on what it estimated. So thank you for making this available.

I do however agree with Randar on pretty much all of his points, so hopefully when the next version comes around it will incorporate some of those improvements. But for now it does everything I need to do to make good beer. I'm sure it can only get better.

Randy,

Very good comments. They are noted and in the feature tracker to be changed. Also, I'm definitely game for using all your tools and shop equipment haha.

I don't have much web development experience, so if anyone is genuinely interested in the online ingredient database thing, please PM me. We have space on the sourceforge servers with scripting support and all the bells and whistles, so it would be just a matter of actually doing it.

I don't have much web development experience,

I have just enough to be dangerous...

so if anyone is genuinely interested in the online ingredient database thing, please PM me. We have space on the sourceforge servers with scripting support and all the bells and whistles, so it would be just a matter of actually doing it.

I'll start a thread on the SF project forum.

if I did an extract recipe and steeped specialty grains, should these be marked as mashed or not?

sorry for such a noob question. the import from Beersmith had them as not mashed and the numbers were crazy.

Speaking of. I had some very weird readings for a brew I input for an extract. If I don't mark Amber Dry Extract for 'mash' I get some strange things happening in the output windows. Like letters....? Do I REALLY have to mash a dry extract? :D

any chance of a sneak preview of v2.0? ;)

Sure. I'll put up some pics later.

if I did an extract recipe and steeped specialty grains, should these be marked as mashed or not?

sorry for such a noob question. the import from Beersmith had them as not mashed and the numbers were crazy.

For extract recipes, it doesn't matter whether you check mashed or not. What that button does is influence the calculation of mash water and temps. That being said, I would leave it unchecked. I'm really looking for a better way to do extract/steeping in brewtarget. Unfortunately the underlying BeerXML doesn't seem to support steeping very well. It only has one field for the yield of the grain, and it really needs another one for steeping. For now, if you steep a particular grain, just change the yield of that grain to about 45% to get more accurate numbers. See this page out of John Palmer's How to Brew to get more info on steeping yields.

Speaking of. I had some very weird readings for a brew I input for an extract. If I don't mark Amber Dry Extract for 'mash' I get some strange things happening in the output windows. Like letters....? Do I REALLY have to mash a dry extract?

This is a bug. Thanks for reporting that! Can you tell I don't do extract recipes often? Although, like I said, clicking mashed or not really makes no difference for extract recipes.

I've got a few more extract questions.

I've downloaded the software, input a few recipes and am planning on brewing this weekend after junior goes to bed and SWMBO is out with a girlfriend.

I do 3.0 gal boils for 5.0 gal batches. Should I change the boil size to 3.0 gal? Will that affect the OG/FG/IBU if I leave it at the 5.8882 gal that comes up?

I just want to make sure my numbers are right before I brew.

I'll post the recipe info later tonight when I'm at home.

I've got a few more extract questions.

I've downloaded the software, input a few recipes and am planning on brewing this weekend after junior goes to bed and SWMBO is out with a girlfriend.

I do 3.0 gal boils for 5.0 gal batches. Should I change the boil size to 3.0 gal? Will that affect the OG/FG/IBU if I leave it at the 5.8882 gal that comes up?

I just want to make sure my numbers are right before I brew.

I'll post the recipe info later tonight when I'm at home.

Yes, you need to change the boil size. It affects things like how many IBUs you're going to get.

Hold out for the new version? How difficult will the upgrade be?

Thanks!

Alright, 1.2 preview...

4182718923_b12a72aa44.jpg

Here, you will notice a few changes. First, the style limits for OG, FG, etc. are shown on the right. Second, it not only displays your target batch and boil sizes, but it estimates what batch and boil sizes you'll actually get. Also, the amount of each grain as a percent is displayed in the corresponding row.

4182718929_5ed074a722.jpg

Here are a couple of tools I included because I constantly need them. First is just a simple conversion tool in case you need it to convert between units (although, every field in brewtarget automatically converts units for you). The second is an OG correction tool. Sometimes your efficiency is a lot higher or sometimes lower, so you need to know how much water to add or boil off to hit your planned OG. Also, you can see that in the row for each hop is the amount of IBUs that hop provides.

Other than these, there are a LOT of changes, mostly suggested by you on this forum. Some that I can think of right now include:
1) Ability to change between SI/English/US units separately for mass and volume
2) Ability to set any alarm sound (select any audio file) for any of your timers
3) Ability to choose between Daniel's, Morey's, and Mosher's color formulas
4) Ability to choose between Tinseth and Rager IBU calculations
5) Ability to copy your recipes to the clipboard so you can paste them or print them like this:

Code:
American IPA - SN Celebration Ale - American IPA
================================================================================
Batch Size: 11.207 gal
Boil Size: 12.106 gal
Boil Time: 1.500 hr
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.071
FG: 1.018
ABV: 6.9%
Bitterness: 50.5 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 12 SRM (Mosher)

Fermentables
================================================================================
              Name  Type    Amount Mashed Yield Colors
 Pale Malt (2 row) Grain 25.993 lb    Yes   78%    3 L
     CaraPils malt Grain  2.000 lb    Yes   70%    2 L
       Crystal 60L Grain  2.000 lb    Yes   74%   60 L
      Crystal 120L Grain  1.000 lb    Yes   74%   60 L
       Munich malt Grain  1.000 lb    Yes   75%    6 L

Hops
       Name Alpha   Amount     Use       Time  IBU
    Chinook 11.0% 1.500 oz    Mash   1.750 hr  0.0
    Chinook 11.0% 1.000 oz    Boil   1.000 hr 15.0
 Centennial  9.9% 4.000 oz    Boil 15.000 min 26.7
    Cascade  6.7% 4.000 oz    Boil  5.000 min  7.3
    Cascade  6.7% 4.000 oz    Boil  1.000 min  1.6
    Cascade  6.7% 2.000 oz Dry Hop    0.000 s  0.0
 Centennial  9.9% 2.000 oz Dry Hop    0.000 s  0.0
    Chinook 11.0% 2.000 oz Dry Hop    0.000 s  0.0

Yeast
           Name Type   Form    Amount   Stage
 California Ale  Ale Liquid 1.057 cup Primary

There are of course other features I can't remember and bug fixes and perfection of the way it calculates stuff and on and on. Anyway, a release should be just a few weeks away.

AWESOME!

I cant tell you how excited I am!!

I really love your work, and the ability to copy recipes to the clipboard makes it perfect for me!

Thanks for your work and time in this!

Rocketman,

This is great software. I don't own any actual brew software but instead have been using various freeware or web based programs. I just found yours a week ago and am very impressed. I have been running this from my thumb drive which allows me to tweak recipes on "The Man's" time and then take home to brew. Your hard work is much appreciated. I can't wait for the upgrades (to include printing). Thank you and happy holidays.

This is great software. I don't own any actual brew software...

Lol.

I just found yours a week ago and am very impressed. I have been running this from my thumb drive which allows me to tweak recipes on "The Man's" time and then take home to brew. Your hard work is much appreciated. I can't wait for the upgrades (to include printing). Thank you and happy holidays.

Thanks for the compliment. Happy holidays to you too!

I would love to try out version 1.2. How soon is "soon young grasshopper"

Just a couple of weeks. I'm working hard on it and making good progress.

Lol.

Thanks for the compliment. Happy holidays to you too!

Just a couple of weeks. I'm working hard on it and making good progress.

As someone that walked away from M$ years ago, around Redhat 5.2 if you want to know, I really appreciate your effort. The best help I can give you with the coding is to stay away from it. :D Hosting is a different story though if you could use some server space.

As someone that walked away from M$ years ago, around Redhat 5.2 if you want to know, I really appreciate your effort. The best help I can give you with the coding is to stay away from it. :D Hosting is a different story though if you could use some server space.

You're old school. My first Redhat was 6.1 a year after 5.2...nothing worked right :) How long we've come in the days of open source.

You're old school. My first Redhat was 6.1 a year after 5.2...nothing worked right :) How long we've come in the days of open source.

Debian user since about 1998.

I find that most homebrewers share allot of the open source "ethos": willing to share, help, improve, etc.

I started writing some brew stuff in wxPython, but got distracted. A scripting language, I think, would allow more people to help. C++/QT requires a larger "investment" in effort, IMO. But, at least it's not Java :)

I write C - just plain C - for some web-related stuff, where performance is king. For desktop homebrew software, a scripting language is fast enough but has a lot more "hackability."

Debian user since about 1998.

I find that most homebrewers share allot of the open source "ethos": willing to share, help, improve, etc.

I started writing some brew stuff in wxPython, but got distracted. A scripting language, I think, would allow more people to help. C++/QT requires a larger "investment" in effort, IMO. But, at least it's not Java :)

I write C - just plain C - for some web-related stuff, where performance is king. For desktop homebrew software, a scripting language is fast enough but has a lot more "hackability."

You are right. Free "as in beer" definitely goes with free "as in speech." You can think of the recipes here as an open source repository of beer recipes.

I tried a lot of stuff before deciding it was going to be C++/Qt. Actually, Qt is really easy. Have you ever tried it? It's got a nice little GUI called Qt Designer for creating...GUIs. I use that and connect all the parts together with C++ for the most part. It's also got its own basic data types like QString for strings, which really takes care of all the annoying issues you usually come up against with C++.

The only real breakdown I have seen over the years, less lately, is that some of them think it should be code for code and screw anyone not working on the code base. I knew early on coding wasn't going to be a strong point for me. My efforts go into helping other people build astronomical telescopes. I've also been able to help a few folks with my appliance repair background on this site.

oops was using V1.0a..

HOWEVER when I downloaded and unzipped v1.1
I get message: Application brewtarget quit unexpectedly...

re-downloaded a few times... unzipped a few times...v1.1 wont launch

error report:
Process: brewtarget [40679]
Path: /Users/admin/Desktop/brewtarget 2.app/Contents/MacOS/brewtarget
Identifier: brewtarget
Version: ??? (???)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [71]

Interval Since Last Report: 57 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 1
Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 0 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 1

Date/Time: 2009-12-17 11:01:01.679 -0500
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a)
Report Version: 6
Anonymous UUID: 59AB531A-51BB-4F54-8E9D-FDB009EE244F

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: QtWebKit.framework/Versions/4/QtWebKit
Referenced from: /Users/admin/Desktop/brewtarget 2.app/Contents/MacOS/brewtarget
Reason: image not found

I hate to be "that guy" but I'm just to lazy to read through the 16 pages of this thread, so I'm going to ask.

Does anyone have this running on a Ubuntu machine, or better yet, a LinuxMint machine?

I will be downloading and booting this when I get home. I wish the rig was ready to play with it right away.

I hate to be "that guy" but I'm just to lazy to read through the 16 pages of this thread, so I'm going to ask.

Does anyone have this running on a Ubuntu machine, or better yet, a LinuxMint machine?

I will be downloading and booting this when I get home. I wish the rig was ready to play with it right away.

I'm developing the thing in Ubuntu. I've made .deb packages so it should also work in any debian-based distro, which includes mint, as long as you install Qt 4.5 or greater.

I'm developing the thing in Ubuntu. I've made .deb packages so it should also work in any debian-based distro, which includes mint, as long as you install Qt 4.5 or greater.

Beautiful, are the debian packages located somewhere in specific? Is hosted on any repositories?

The only real breakdown I have seen over the years, less lately, is that some of them think it should be code for code and screw anyone not working on the code base.

We're taking this a little off topic, but:

I like how the apache foundation works. Folks who write docs, try stuff, talk to users, or lawyers etc. are all welcome. You help how you can.

I think brewing is like that. Look at the DYI forums. A few electricians, welders, chemist, etc. Same with brew software :) I had to kill a couple hours today, so I did a google spreadsheet for my stuff because I haven't found anything that matches my setup: 10 gallon partial mash, brew-in-a-bag, no chill - and I often split into 2 5 gallon "cubes" with different hops and pitch different yeast. I'll clean it up and share at some point.

Back on topic, brewtarget seems to be moving along nicely.

Back