Hop School 2009 at Hop Union in Yakima

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtopia

"Greenwood Aged Beer"
Reaction score
I was at hop school at Hop Union in Yakima all last week and got to witness the harvest first hand. It was very cool. The future is looking bright for hops this year!

A few pics

001HOP school.jpg

002HOP school.jpg

003HOP school.jpg

004.5HOP school.jpg

004HOP school.jpg

Naked City is immortalized on the upstairs wall at Hop Union
030HOP school.jpg

...and so is my HBT persona
031HOP school.jpg

Incredible photos thanks for posting them for all of us to enjoy. Thanks Don.

Dang...what is involved in the 'school'? Is this a yearly deal?

It is a yearly deal at harvest time. Brewers come in from all over the country. It's a two day event with lectures on different aspects of brewing. This year some of the speakers were, Chris White from White Labs, Ron from Cargill Malt, Ralph Olson from Hop Union, Jamie Floyd from Ninkasi Brewing and And Steve Dresler from Sierra Nevada.

Lectures covered everything from yeast propigation, beer analysis, marketing and growing your brewery, beer and food pairings, etc. It was pretty cool

Excellent. Hop Madness is coming up next weekend, but it conflicts with Septembeerfest. Seeing real hop plants right now would be depressing, as mine didn't make it through the hot spell last month. They were doing great, but just stopped growing at when it hit 105F and never got going again. I've got enough for a few batches, but at four years, they should be doing much better.

Excellent. Hop Madness is coming up next weekend, but it conflicts with Septembeerfest. Seeing real hop plants right now would be depressing, as mine didn't make it through the hot spell last month. They were doing great, but just stopped growing at when it hit 105F and never got going again. I've got enough for a few batches, but at four years, they should be doing much better.

105? that is like the low temp in July here and I got production out of my first year crop. Do you have Czech Saaz going or something?

I will be going home today and putting my head in the bag with my hops and taking a deep breath. Great post!

Back