Diaper Pail Smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
My cherry wheat is churning away. This is my first batch of wheat beer.

The smell is INTENSE. If you ever had a newborn, the smell is like their diapers for the first few days. Not like crap, more a funky, sulfur-like smell.

When I opened my office door, it almost knocked me down.

Is the high sulfur gas due to the high wheat content?

It's the yeast. Hefe yeasts are known for strong sulphur output. It'll go away in a few days.

Lager yeasts like lower fermentation temperatures. Lager yeast produce less fruity esters than ale yeasts but can produce more sulfur compounds during primary fermentation. Many first time lager brewers are astonished by the rotten egg smell coming from their fermentors, sometimes letting it convince them that the batch is infected and causing them to dump it. Don't do it! Fortunately, these compounds continue to vent during the conditioning (lagering) phase and the chemical precursors of other odious compounds are gradually eaten up by the yeast. A previously rank smelling beer that is properly lagered will be sulfur-free and delicious at bottling time.

John Palmer's - How to brew.

Lager yeasts like lower fermentation temperatures. Lager yeast produce less fruity esters than ale yeasts but can produce more sulfur compounds during primary fermentation. Many first time lager brewers are astonished by the rotten egg smell coming from their fermentors, sometimes letting it convince them that the batch is infected and causing them to dump it. Don't do it! Fortunately, these compounds continue to vent during the conditioning (lagering) phase and the chemical precursors of other odious compounds are gradually eaten up by the yeast. A previously rank smelling beer that is properly lagered will be sulfur-free and delicious at bottling time.

John Palmer's - How to brew.

He's making a hefeweizen with 3068? 3068 is top cropping, not a lager yeast.

The temp is right at 68*. I am in the room with it now, I can smell it, but it's not a shadow of what it was Monday night.

This is not a hefe, it is a cherry wheat. Technically an ale, I guess:

YEAST STRAIN: 3068 | Weihenstephan Weizen™

Classic German wheat beer yeast, used by more German brewers than any other strain. Dominated by banana ester production, phenols and clove-like characteristics. Extremely attenuative yeast, which produces a tart, refreshing finish. Yeast remains in suspension readily with proteinacous wheat malt. Sometimes used in conjunction with lager yeast and kraeusened to finish the beer and improve the overall dryness. High CO2 levels, typically at 2.7 - 3.2 volumes is desirable for best presentation. This strain is a true top cropping yeast requiring full fermenter headspace of 33%. Increasing pitch rates will reduce ester production. Alcohol tolerance: approximately 10% ABV

Origin:
Flocculation: low
Attenuation: 73-77%
Temperature Range: 64-75° F (18-24° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 10% ABV

Huh, I haven't had that yeast go elephant fart on me at temps ranging from 68-75 degrees. Maybe in the future better aeration or nutrients may help. I loooooove the beer that yeast makes.

Huh, I haven't had that yeast go elephant fart on me at temps ranging from 68-75 degrees. Maybe in the future better aeration or nutrients may help. I loooooove the beer that yeast makes.

I aerated the crap out the wort.

I added the priming sugar included (I will force carb in the keg) and an extra pack of priming sugar, plus 8oz of Malto-Dextrine to the boil.

Ah ok, that makes sense. I'm still a n00b trying to learn the ropes. I'm making a hefe in my apartment this weekend...here's hoping it doesn't smell as bad as your beer evidently has.

Ah ok, that makes sense. I'm still a n00b trying to learn the ropes. I'm making a hefe in my apartment this weekend...here's hoping it doesn't smell as bad as your beer evidently has.

The temperature drop and time has reduced the smell a LOT.

But, it was FUNKY Monday night.

Back