Dry-hopping in Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solbergg

Reaction score
My chiswick bitter from Big Brew is going into the keg next week and the recipe calls for a dry hop in the keg itself. Is it safe to just drop the pellets in there or should I buy a hop bag for them?

An unsanitized hop bag doesn't sound like a good idea.

Personally, I wouldn't dry-hop with pellets into a keg for fear of plugging any of the valves and other equipment with gunk.

Can you not do a secondary fermentation and dry hop into that before kegging?

Aw, just chuck the leaf hops in there. They'll float. You won't have to worry until the keg's empty, when you'll want to take it apart to clean it anyway.

Good idea -- maybe I should do the same with my next batch of IPA ... the damn stuff tastes so good green and then the citric pine hop taste just kinda fades away ... if I keg it with hops floating in it, maybe it won't!

An unsanitized hop bag doesn't sound like a good idea.

Personally, I wouldn't dry-hop with pellets into a keg for fear of plugging any of the valves and other equipment with gunk.

Can you not do a secondary fermentation and dry hop into that before kegging?

The recipe actually called for hopping in the primary, secondary, and keg.

+1 on using a hop bag. I would also use leaf hops. I've used hop bags in the past w/ pellets and I still got residue in the beer. Not that I cared, but people that expect their beer somewhat clear may.

I would sanitize the bag too, but it's getting put into alcohol so don't be too concerned with bacteria. They wouldn't last long anyways.

BM has a pic of a muslin bag filled with leaf hops ziptied to a diptube floating around here somewhere. That's how I do it. Use leaf hops. Bag them.

Aw, just chuck the leaf hops in there. They'll float. You won't have to worry until the keg's empty, when you'll want to take it apart to clean it anyway.

Good idea -- maybe I should do the same with my next batch of IPA ... the damn stuff tastes so good green and then the citric pine hop taste just kinda fades away ... if I keg it with hops floating in it, maybe it won't!

This doesn't work. Just saying. My ordinary bitter is all clogged up.

I use whole hops & bags. With only one person drinking & multiple taps, sometimes it is necessary to re-hop. Hop aroma has a limited life, even with the hops in the keg.

Loose pellets in a keg is a major nightmare. If you want to use them, get a fine mesh or muslin bag.

I almost exclusively use pellets in bags in the keg. The bags are the 1 gallon paint strainers from Home Depot. The first few pints have hop sediment in them, but I honestly don't mind.

Get an herb ball. They're about 3" in diameter, and a few bucks at walmart. They clip to the dip tube. Best investment ever. Use whatever hops you want....the sediment will quickly get pushed out the lines once you tap the keg.

Use whatever hops you want

Does that include pellets or only leafs? I am supposed to dry hop an IPA I have going but after reading this I am afraid to just drop the pellets in the keg.

Does that include pellets or only leafs? I am supposed to dry hop an IPA I have going but after reading this I am afraid to just drop the pellets in the keg.

Just dropping pellets in would be a huge mess. Definitely use a bag with the pellets. The 1 gallon paint strainers at Home Depot (~$1) are great for this. Some people seem to have had good luck just throwing leaf hops in the keg. I wouldn't since I like to be able to take them out after a week or so.

Get an herb ball. They're about 3" in diameter, and a few bucks at walmart. They clip to the dip tube. Best investment ever. Use whatever hops you want....the sediment will quickly get pushed out the lines once you tap the keg.

Where's EdWort... I think this is what he does too. I have one of these, I tried it in the boil and it didn't work well there but I'm gonna use it to dry hop in the keg next time.

Or you could build a hop randall and strain the beer through the hops on the way to the tap.... drool. :p

Back