Straining or not straining wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeBAD

Reaction score
There seems to be several of you brewers out there that differ on the subject of straining or not straining your wort before pitching to the fermenter. We haven't been brewing very long but we've always strained.

I'm looking for some arguments on both sides. If we don't strain will the break and other junk settle adequately?

Thanks for any input!

I have done it both ways. The first beers I brew everything, hops and trub went into the fermenter. I now use a boil screen that keep the trub and hops out of my chill plate, so when I fill the fermenters it is pretty clear wort going in. I use irish moss in the boil so some additional coagulation happens in the fermentation vessel. I brew the same beer over and over and I did not notice any difference in the flavor. Besides keeping the plate chiller clean there is a little more room in the vessels for wort.

I've done it both ways, and I'd rather strain. It puts less sediment at the bottom of the fermenter, making it easier to reuse yeast. But if I feel lazy or use the no-chill method then I don't strain. If you exclusively use pellet hops then you don't really need to strain, all the hops and break will settle.

I have a bazooka strainer and a filter in my funnel
so I filter a lot, the sugars go right past, it holds back proteins and other solids you do not want

plus

the filter in the funnel agitates the wort so that it absorbs oxygen and that is a good thing

I have bucket fermenters,so I pour the chilled wort (pb/pm biab) through a large dual layer fine mesh strainer. It gets out any grainy/hoppy gunk out & aerates the wort as well. NB & Mdwest both sell the same dual layer fine mesh strainers like I use. I get less trub by the time I need to rack to the bottling bucket. About 3/8" thick on average. Especially meritorious if I'm going to wash the yeast. At any rate,I get more bottles of clear beer this way.

Just started beekeeping this past summer, so came across these honey filters that fit directly into a plastic bucket...perfect for straining wort. They come in 200, 400, and 600 micron mesh sizes. Can be found at beekeeping supply stores like Mann Lake: http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeeping-supplies/category/page91.html ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390940102.127497.jpg

Back