American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a brewing slide rule to calculate partial mashes. You can go to brewer's friend, or another online calculator. Plug in the recipe, then make the changes you want, keeping the OG and IBU the same. Strike water temp is about 10-12 degrees above your mash temp. Use 1.5 quarts per pound of grain. Base malt is 30 points per pound per gallon, DME is 42. So a four pound mash reduces the DME three pounds.

Ok so my Bee Cave HPA is very nearly ready to be drunk, I sampled a bottle last night.
I had posted a week or so ago when bottling this, about the lack of hop presents and was a little dissapointed with the overall uncarbed product, well you win some you lose some. However apon last nights sample my thoughts have changed, still lacking in the hop department but i can easly change that for my taste. But the taste, Clean, Smooth, slightly sweet,Refreashing. OMG, hats off to ya Ed, Its a GREAT BEER. My wife really enjoyed the sample too,( This is good, she will let me brew more).
So Thank you Ed.

I use a brewing slide rule to calculate partial mashes. You can go to brewer's friend, or another online calculator. Plug in the recipe, then make the changes you want, keeping the OG and IBU the same. Strike water temp is about 10-12 degrees above your mash temp. Use 1.5 quarts per pound of grain. Base malt is 30 points per pound per gallon, DME is 42. So a four pound mash reduces the DME three pounds.

Thanks for the advice! I already use Brewers Friends yeast pitch calc and a few others. Are you referring to the recipe builder they have? I've never used it or thought about using it like that. Still a noob just getting into recipe building. I suppose it's probably time to buy one. I've heard a lot of folks here talk about Brew Smith and others. I really just need to pony up and pay for it. Do they calculate the needed sparge as well? I know you want to mash with 1.25-1.5 quarts per pound of grain, but I haven't heard much about calculating sparge.

I use Brewer's Friend free, you can build and save only five recipes, but it allows a lot of calculations. While I try to calculate my water volumes, I mostly watch my gravity. That way if I end up with 4-3/4 or 5-1/4 gallons, it will be close to the right gravity. I'm still working out my methods too, I've only been brewing a year. But close is good enough. Before I put it in the fermenter, the gravity lets me know If I should add some water, or boiled water and extract. Don't stress about it, make the beer. No two are exactly the same anyway.

I use Brewer's Friend free, you can build and save only five recipes, but it allows a lot of calculations. While I try to calculate my water volumes, I mostly watch my gravity. That way if I end up with 4-3/4 or 5-1/4 gallons, it will be close to the right gravity. I'm still working out my methods too, I've only been brewing a year. But close is good enough. Before I put it in the fermenter, the gravity lets me know If I should add some water, or boiled water and extract. Don't stress about it, make the beer. No two are exactly the same anyway.

I'm with you there! I started brewing a year ago as well and I have done a few PM batches. I only have a 5 gallon kettle, so it kinda limits me a bit. I WISH I had a 10 gallon kettle so I can do BIAB AG. I mainly don't want to impart off flavors by over sparging or anything of that nature. Right now I'm doing well when I have instructions...but now I'm starting to want to change things and don't know how.

Edit: So here's what I made up from Brewers Friend. Tell me what you think.

Recipe Type: Partial Mash
Yeast: Nottingham
Yeast Starter: Nope
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 39.65
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 5.11 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 Days at 64 degrees
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60%

Grain Bill
4 lbs. 2-Row Pale Malt
3 lbs. DME
2 lbs. Vienna Malt
0.5 lb. Crystal 10L Malt
0.5 lbs. Carapils

Mash with 8 qts of water @ 166F. for an hour.
Sparge with 8 qts of water @ 170 for 10 min.

Then ill top up with a frozen 1g store bought jug of water and another cold water jug to make it my 5.5 target batch size.

The only other difference I plan on doing is dry hopping with an additional ounce of Cascade. I also plan to do a 4 gallon boil VERY carefully!! I only have a 5 gallon boil kettle otherwise I would just do this BIAB AG. Brewers Friend wanted me to mash with 8.75 qts according to their mash calc, which would obviously be too much. So I hope that won't change much only mashing with 8 qts. The sparge is the only confusing part for me, which is the only part that I didn't do with a calculator!! So 8 qts was a guess. Too much?!? Any help is greatly appreciated.

It looks good, but you want your strike water at 166, your mash should be 152, right? I also think you can mash in more water if you wish. I manage to BIAB mash 10 lbs in 3.5 gallons in a 5 gallon pot, so 9qts: 2.125 gallons should be fine. Check your gravity before you top off, remember to adjust for temp. Cascade dry hop sounds great. Do watch your boil, especially before the hot break. Most of all, don't worry, it will be good!

It looks good, but you want your strike water at 166, your mash should be 152, right? I also think you can mash in more water if you wish. I manage to BIAB mash 10 lbs in 3.5 gallons in a 5 gallon pot, so 9qts: 2.125 gallons should be fine. Check your gravity before you top off, remember to adjust for temp. Cascade dry hop sounds great. Do watch your boil, especially before the hot break. Most of all, don't worry, it will be good!

Yes! I meant 166 accounting for the temp loss from doughing in. Which by the mash calc it says if my grain is around 70 at dough in, then 166 will end up being 152. Hmmmmm...so you mash 10lbs in a 5 gallon kettle with 3.5 gallons? This sounds interesting. Then do you sparge with a gallon? Or do you do the traditional no sparge and top up to your target OG? I do want to move to BIAB, but i only have my 5 Gallon kettle. Thanks!!

At first I'd just put it in a colander in another pot, squeeze it by putting a plate on top (it's hot). Then I'd pour hot water over. Last time I "dunk sparged" it in another 3.5gallons, stirring some. I actually think the first method was better, but I can't be sure. Even though that's 7 gallons, remember that the grain soaks up some, then some boils off, then some is lost to hot break, cold break and hop trub. The dunk sparge needs to big pots. The other can be done with your 5g and a big pasta pot. The colander should fit inside the pot if possible, or the wort will spill over the sides when squeezed. Many people practice no sparge BIAB with full volume, but many use the methods I've described. Check the BIAB sub-forum for more tips.

At first I'd just put it in a colander in another pot, squeeze it by putting a plate on top (it's hot). Then I'd pour hot water over. Last time I "dunk sparged" it in another 3.5gallons, stirring some. I actually think the first method was better, but I can't be sure. Even though that's 7 gallons, remember that the grain soaks up some, then some boils off, then some is lost to hot break, cold break and hop trub. The dunk sparge needs to big pots. The other can be done with your 5g and a big pasta pot. The colander should fit inside the pot if possible, or the wort will spill over the sides when squeezed. Many people practice no sparge BIAB with full volume, but many use the methods I've described. Check the BIAB sub-forum for more tips.

Thanks a ton for all of your help! I think I'm gonna stick with the recipe I have. I have read A LOT about BIAB. Mostly the dunk sparge methods, because that's what I plan to do once I am able to afford a bigger pot. I was considering buying a cheap 32q aluminum one at waliworld for $22, but I think I'm gonna hold off to buy a 40q ss one. Especially since the SWMBO is already not so happy about the expenses of my keezer build I've started :D

My pleasure. It's a brewer's obligation to help others brew. I certainly have learned much on this forum and others. Do let me know how it works out, I'm sure it will be good.
And you are wise to keep the Mrs happy.

My pleasure. It's a brewer's obligation to help others brew. I certainly have learned much on this forum and others. Do let me know how it works out, I'm sure it will be good.
And you are wise to keep the Mrs happy.

I hope to pick up the stuff to brew it in a week or two. I'll post the results when I brew it! I learned something from a very wise man that shared this with me many moon ago...happy wife, happy life. I adopted this concept very early and so far...it has worked out GREAT! Lol.

Beer has carbonated, at about 6%, it has nice bitterness and wonderful aroma. If I didn't know better, I would call it an IPA.

This is a great recipe but I really like the hop changes I made (Centennial for bittering and Cascade for aroma).

First keg is already kicked. Second keg tastes so much better than the first, usually the case with my beers since the 2nd keg has more time to allow the flavors to mellow out.

This is one recipe that I like more and more each time that I make it and being my 5th iteration, I think it's the one recipe I've brewed the most!

I also have EdWort's Apfelwein ready to be kegged. Hoping to serve it at our xmas hosting this year. But I've gone off topic.

This was my second batch ever, first one I kegged, and just simply a delicious brew. Me and the guys put a dent in the keg over a game of RISK. Thanks Ed!

ForumRunner_20131218_122344.jpg

Just kegged and put this on gas after brewing for the first time. I went with the original recipe but added less than half an ounce of williamette that I had in the fridge at the end of the boil - hopefully that wasn't a mistake!

Looking forward to tasting it soon!

This was my second batch ever, first one I kegged, and just simply a delicious brew. Me and the guys put a dent in the keg over a game of RISK. Thanks Ed!

View attachment 166663

Is it wrong to want to drink this at 8:53am...?!?

Looks amazing, pretty sure this is my next brew, I like the idea of using falconers flight hopes too.

I have brewed this in 10 gallon batches about 12 times since I started brewing about 13 months ago. I followed the recipe, but doubled everything. OG/FG running 1.062/1.012. EVERYONE loves this beer. My friends cant get enough.

Absolutely a brew for the masses.

Brick_Haus recommended!

I tried brewing this as a BIAB when I just began brewing, and failed miserably. I'm making another attempt tomorrow, which should turn it around in a keg quick enough for the super bowl!

Great looking beer EdWort! I'm through page 30 but thinking about using this as a base for a mango pale ale. I don't want to mess with the great thing he's got goi here, but anyone else try a fruit addition to this beer? Thoughts and recommendations greatly appreciated! Love this stuff!

I made this as my 4th ever batch (before taking an unanticipated 8 month break - starting up again soon) - was by far the best. Really straight forward and the first one where my first reaction was "wow, I can't believe I made this!"...

Despite fermenting at about 26C for the first few days, this turned out great. The added fruitiness is a nice bonus.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389541317.304330.jpg

Made this on Sunday, ten gallon batch. I split the batch into two portions , one with SA05 and one with Notty. the Notty one is doing just fine, but the 05 is dead?? I am not sure why, the temps were on the cool side as its about 55 in my basement and my OG was a bit high 1.050. I put a heating pad on it yesterday to raise them up a bit, now about about 64 but still no activity from the 05. I really dont know what happened, I have used 05 several times and NEVER had it not work... exp date of 02/2015..

will check again when I get home and repitch with another yeast, but I dont have anymore 05 so will use what I have...

i should mention i pitched at around 68 and it cooled overnight from there...

I usually stir it so I can agitate any yeast thats just laying on the bottom. Use a spoon or dip tube.

sure enough, went home and carefully peaked in, saw a little krausen, stirred it up and in a couple hours it was bubbling away... sitting right around 67 or so... so it seems to be happy happy happy :)

I'm going to do a 3-gallon all grain batch of this - second all grain batch - only 3 gallon because of apartment range burner capability (other reasons too, but unrelated to my question).

My grain bill varies slightly from the original - first due to 3 gallon, but also because I ended up scooping a little extra into my bag from the bins in my awesome LHBS. The ratios are fairly close though:

5 lb. 2 row
1.5 lb. Vienna
.5 lb. Crystal 10L

The ratios from the original recipe got me to 1.2 oz Cascade. Keeping in the spirit of the original recipe (simple, cheap, etc...), I didn't want to buy another packet of hops just for the .2oz, so I ended up with 1 oz. Also, I have a little bit of other hops leftover from my last brew session.

I have:
.25oz German Tettnang A:3.9%, B:5.0%
.25oz Czech Saaz A:3.0%, B:4.8%

Plus the 1 oz of Cascade I purchased with my grain bill.

My initial thought was to make the last addition one of the leftovers (Tettnang or Saaz), but then I started thinking that the Cascade would provide a nicer aroma...I'm not experienced enough with hops...

I'm sure it'll be a tasty beer either way, but wondering how you all would utilize these hops with this recipe. Put some of my Saaz in the start at a bittering hop and save my Cascade for the rest of the additions? Just use the 1 oz of Cascade and forget the rest?

Thanks.

Thanks to you both. I actually had 1/2 oz of each and used the tettnang for buttering and then cascade at 30, 20, and 10. IBUs were where they should be for an American Pale Ale...excited to see how it turns out.

Just poured a glass. This came out great. I needed a break from all the IIPA's I've been downing lately. :drunk:

paleale_zps18278644.jpg

Nice! This one is on my must brew list for the near future. I love the Highland Brewing sticker. LOVE me some Highland. I actually got a chance to tour the brewery. Awesome people over there too. Asheville is FANTASTIC for craft brew crowned the craft brew capital. The water quality there is AMAZING! Sierra Nevada and Dogfishhead are movin there from what I've heard...also, sorry for goin off topic!

Nice! This one is on my must brew list for the near future. I love the Highland Brewing sticker. LOVE me some Highland. I actually got a chance to tour the brewery. Awesome people over there too. Asheville is FANTASTIC for craft brew crowned the craft brew capital. The water quality there is AMAZING! Sierra Nevada and Dogfishhead are movin there from what I've heard...also, sorry for goin off topic!

My Wife has been traveling to Asheville once a month for a year now for her work. I've been up there a few times, and toured Highland as well. Their Cold Mountain Ale has a cult following of enormous magnitude. I was told that the water there was wonderful for brewing as well at almost every brewery/beer tour. SN does have a place there out by the airport. I tried to tour it, but It's not quite operational yet. Sometime this year they say.

/End hijack, sorry EdWort. :mug:

My Wife has been traveling to Asheville once a month for a year now for her work. I've been up there a few times, and toured Highland as well. Their Cold Mountain Ale has a cult following of enormous magnitude. I was told that the water there was wonderful for brewing as well at almost every brewery/beer tour. SN does have a place there out by the airport. I tried to tour it, but It's not quite operational yet. Sometime this year they say.

/End hijack, sorry EdWort. :mug:

I've definitely been lucky. I love this place! Have some cold mountain from the last 4 years, and a keg of homebrew clone. Wonderful stuff!

Hey There,
I'm just wondering if you think it's worth while using irish moss in this to clear it?

Cheers.

Well, I missed my OG. I got 1.044 after adjusted for temperature, with 5 gallons of wort. I've been shooting low for the last half a dozen batches now. :/

I wanna try the Edwort Haus pale ale 5 gallon all Grain recipe with my present equipment by mean of BIAB. The problem is the largest pot I've got is 5 gallon. From what I've learnt from this forum, biab for 5 gallon batch normally require boiling 7-8 gallon of wort coming from mashing and sparshing. So my question is can I boil the mashing wort and sparshing wort separately ? It is indeed very time consuming to do so , but I could only think of this way out in order to achieve the desired efficiency( except buying new kettle and pot, that I really want to avoid of). Anyone here can share ur thought with me ?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back