Gold Rush - Jungle Gold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, seems weird that's all Todd's dad does (on camera, at least).

Did you see what he did when they let him operate an excavator on Season 1? He aimlessly picked a random spot in the ground and started digging, hoping to find a glory hole.

I hadn't thought about it before but it is suspicious that Jack is the only one in the gold room when weighing out the gold. With that much money at stack - I thought it was standard procedure to have multiple people in the room to keep theft to a minimum. I wouldn't be surprised if he is holding some back from the rest of the crew.

I'd wager that he isn't alone in there, but the show makes it appear that way so that its more dramatic.

Did you see what he did when they let him operate an excavator on Season 1? He aimlessly picked a random spot in the ground and started digging, hoping to find a glory hole.

I think he did that at the beginning of this season as well.

The other thing with Jack is last season wasn't he "totally addicted to morphine" he is just as bad as Harness. Even if he had surgery to correct his back, I don't think you just quit taking the morphine pills.

No way any responsible organization would knowing let a morphine addict operate equipment.

My prediction for tonight

Toad will say "frick" a few times.
Toad will really screw something up, and Dave/Freddie will come to the rescue

Part of me hopes Fred Hits it big, just to reenforce Jacks glory hole theory

I hadn't thought about it before but it is suspicious that Jack is the only one in the gold room when weighing out the gold. With that much money at stack - I thought it was standard procedure to have multiple people in the room to keep theft to a minimum. I wouldn't be surprised if he is holding some back from the rest of the crew.

I too doubt that he is the only 'cast member' in the room. Of course there is also at least one camera man, one sound guy, and probably a director. Kind of hard to steal something with a camera crew watching everything you do. Now, if he was refusing to let the camera crew in while he was weighing out....

I love this show but my main pet peeve is the over-dramatization of everything. Starts with that ridiculously "scary" narration. "If...blah,blah,potential disaster....they won't get to 1000 ounces!" It is practically every other sentence he says.

I love this show but my main pet peeve is the over-dramatization of everything. Starts with that ridiculously "scary" narration. "If...blah,blah,potential disaster....they won't get to 1000 ounces!" It is practically every other sentence he says.

That's pretty much how most of these shows are. You have to inject drama to keep people on the hook. It also helps to have some creative editing done to the, "On the next gold rush.." previews.

As far as Jack counting the gold on his own, I don't remember the last time we saw a filmed segment gold room. Just Jack walking out and producing mason jars with gold in them for everyone to oooh and ahhh over.

I would have sworn that they showed a segment of the "dramatic pour on the scale" in the last episode without letting us know the results but I might be confusing it with one of the other crews.

You might be right. I'm pretty sure they didn't but my mind might be failing me a bit here.

Well, IMO the season finale was a bit meh...

Surprise surprise Team Toad got the most gold.... but failed to get their 1000 ounces. Also they seem to be finally getting a grip on the Klondike and now they are going pull up sticks and go mining in South America... The lols continue with them. Greg is going to be "Exploring other options." which I think means he's tired of being a part of Toads farce of a mining operation. I would laugh if he hired on with Parker.

Agreed the season finale was anti-climatic, but to be honest gold mining isn't the best setting for a drama. I also really despised the producer for Gold Rush who tried to push petty arguments in his questions to the three crews.

I was pleased to see the Dakotas and Parker make their goals for the year. They made up some impressive ground especially at the end. I have no idea how the Dakotas are going to get mining equipment up to the top of that glacier, but it certainly appears to be very rich and profitable ground. I hope to see Parker succeed next year in the Klondike working with Tony. Both crews seemed to have learned a lot this year and should be able to apply their success to the next season.

As for Toad...no surprise they fell short of their goal of 1,000 ounces. He essentially sabatoged their season from the start by getting rid of a perfectly usable trommel and replacing it with the experimental one that failed. Epically. I believe they only recovered nine ounces of gold with the equipment from Quartz Creek. The rest came out of Indian River. I was also surprised that for the Quartz Creek crew didn't have more paydirt stockpiled with several months of downtime.

I no longer feel pity for Turin. If he is stupid enough to follow Toad to South America after this season then he gets everything he deserves.

Did anyone catch the "other" finale episode? I think it came on Saturday afternoon. It had a lot of the same footage as the live show with a little more detail. It also showed the crews weighing their final gold on the claims. It was basically what the finale should have been, just like the previous 2 season finale's. I wasn't a fan of the live show. Cristo Doyle did a pretty bad job IMHO. I agree with Darwin18 that he tried to push the miners into arguments.

I was also not surprised to note that Toad was wearing either an Ed Hardy or a knock-off Ed Hardy shirt during the live show.

Yea, the live format was lame.

Christo needs to stick to producing the show and stop shoving himself in front of the camera all the time. You could tell every time he read off the prompter because he would break in to the horrible robotic reading voice. If they are going to continue down this road they should take a lesson from Deadliest Catch and get a guy in who is actually entertaining on camera.

I also thought it was pretty funny that toad wanted to pick a bone with everyone about that episode where they all made fun of him. Man up. All he's done is made terrible decision after decision and then you get all hurt because people call you on it...

The other guys going are going to Ghana again. They are even more stupid than Todd. I'd be surprised if they successfully get any money out of that country.

Now Toad is in the jungle breaking stuff. Wtf.

My guess is that they are going to all these places in South America with no intention to actually mine there, seams a little staged to me. And I've also noticed that when they are making commentary on their "situation" they don't actually show the face of the person who is talking. It must have been added during editing in an attempt to make it more dramatic.

If I have to hear any possible word containing the base of "Frick" again, I will fly home and beat him to death in the Alaskan tundra..

I mean damn, its Frick this and Frick that.. why the hell is my phone capitalizing that?!

And how many times has that idiot said that he knows its a good spot only to blow up in his face.. Dave Turin should have killed him by now.. I think that they are sweet on each other..

Did I see grandpa give the kid 1000oz of gold to start something new, pretty nice of him. You know the old guy is setting on a grip of gold somewhere.

That last episode Toad made his 70 year old dad ride a donkey for 93 miles. While he drove a nice inapendent suspetion 4 wheeler with a seat like a couch. It's like dude are you trying to kill your father "jeepers" .No class.....

The whole South American jaunt is poorly staged. I liked how the guy put the 150 day limit on their mining expedition down there as well. I was surprised that he actual agreed to it, but it does make sense. The guy that designs the sluice knows what he is doing so assuming Todd can somehow coordinate the operation and actually get dirt out of the ground they'll probably catch most of it. If they don't all the gold is still in the ground and the claim owner is out nothing....

I like the dealing in raw gold.. fed doesn't need to know everything. LOL

I like the dealing in raw gold.. fed doesn't need to know everything. LOL

I love that as well! It's also funny that Parker had to grovel to Toad to get some equipment... Apparently there was NO WHERE ELSE to get equipment.

Same old Toad. Good luck getting 200 gallons of diesel to the middle of nowere every day. Silly Toad.

Toad decides to just up and leave with his Alzheimer's riddled father on some vague "I need to go see my family" line, and the rest of the crew just goes along with it? Sure we're stuck in the rainforest and have no idea what we're doing, oh and Toad wants 40 ounces by the time he gets back. At least the Dakota boys hit bedrock in the glory hole. Drink every time someone on the shows says "Glory Hole".

One of the last shots from last night's episodes really bothered me. Pools of hydraulic oil in the streams of the Guyana claim site. This is supposed to be the Discovery Channel after all....

Parker seems to be doing quite well though.

Back