Twist off bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwheelz

Reaction score
So....I've been receiving bottles from all my friends and family. It never occurred to me, that some are twist off and some are not. I've bottled 4 batches with several twist off bottles mixed in.

I've located several of the filled bottles with the twist top and checked the cap. everything seems secure, no leaks when I turn it upside down.

I'm using the standard hand held "winged capper" with regular bottle caps. Is there any real concern here? Should I continue using any bottles I can get? or should I stay away from twist top bottles? Thanks.

I'd steer clear of twist off's. I've always heard that the cappers don't work with them. That being said I've also never tried it. If you have capped some twist offs and they're not leaking, you're probably fine. I'd just rotate those out and replace with non-twist off bottles in the future.

I'd steer clear of twist off's. I've always heard that the cappers don't work with them. That being said I've also never tried it. If you have capped some twist offs and they're not leaking, you're probably fine. I'd just rotate those out and replace with non-twist off bottles in the future.

+1

I used mostly twist-offs for my batch, and it seemed that most weren't on tight enough (I also use a wing-capper), and at least one so far wasn't carbed at all (no 'psst')

For my next batch, I should be all set with enough Grolsch bottles, and if I do happen to be short, I have a few standard pry-offs.

I always avoided twist tops, until I realized that my capper was ok for using these.
I have this kind:
colonna_capper.jpg

I've used a few, and I've had no problems, but I'm still not comfortable with it, so I've been weeding out the twist top bottles. I've got so many stinkin' bottles, I can afford to toss a few...

Great responses. Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll have to toss a few bottles out (after I drink some flat beer of course! :mug:.

Be careful if you use a bottle opener on the twist off bottles. It's real easy to catch a bit of glass and chip it off when opening. I'll tell you to do what I've been doing, put the twist off bottles into recycle and get the pop off top bottles to replace them, even if you have to buy them (they aren't very expensive and lots of reuses on them).

I've inadvertently filled and capped a couple of twist offs before. Maybe a little too much homebrew while bottling. But they capped OK and held pressure during carbing. I threw them out when I came across them. But it worked... I guess I got a good crimp on them. I dunno

I uses mostly twist off bottles and have never had any issues. I have been trying to weed them out but it is tough

I've capped 4 batches of beer with twist-offs so far, and they've all sealed fine. Carbonated perfectly, and hey, they're easy to twist off! I think it's a little bit of fear of the unknown... so far, I've had no leaks or flat beer.

That being said, I use an upright capper, and not a wing capper... so maybe that makes a difference. I don't know. I'm also new to home brewing, so feel free to ignore my advice.

I recently came into a bunch of 'shorty's' (Thanks, Rhinelander!) and was thinking how nice it would be to have a nip rather than get whacked over the head by a high ABV homebrew. I know I am just starting out, and I have a collection of non-twists to get me going, but I'm going to chance it. I have seen "go ahead" and "don't do it" and given the dispute, I figure it's at least worth a try.

christopherbailey said:
I recently came into a bunch of 'shorty's' (Thanks, Rhinelander!) and was thinking how nice it would be to have a nip rather than get whacked over the head by a high ABV homebrew. I know I am just starting out, and I have a collection of non-twists to get me going, but I'm going to chance it. I have seen "go ahead" and "don't do it" and given the dispute, I figure it's at least worth a try.

The first time around, why not just bottle a 12-pack or so in the twist offs... At least if it doesn't work out, you won't be loosing your entire batch. And why does the homebrew have to be high ABV?

I've used a wing-capper on twist offs with no problems to report.

i tested a few on the weekend and they seal good. but the caps would come off the bottle very easy!! i think bumping the cap and it would come off.

i won't be capping twist offs. i do know that the LHBS uses twist offs all the time.

The first time around, why not just bottle a 12-pack or so in the twist offs... At least if it doesn't work out, you won't be loosing your entire batch. And why does the homebrew have to be high ABV?

Actually I have several cases ready to go ... Great Lakes, Southern Tier and Philadelphia Brewing, I thank you.

I simply enjoyed ... surprisingly so ... the shorty's. They won't be the first I use, but they aren't going to be recycled straight away either.

As to the high ABV comment, you're correct, that was a rather newb comment for me to make. I just get the sense from a lot of folks I know that they want to make the biggest brew possible ... and frankly, I'm fine with holding off on higher ABVs until, oh, February.

Back