Foamy beer lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokenKnucklesBrewery

Reaction score
Just hooked up my faucet on my keezer. I'm running 6' of 1/4" ID beer line at 10psi at 40~42* and I'm getting nothing but foam. If I pour from my picnic tap, I get a perfect pour every time. What gives?!

1/4" would be more appropriate for lines that are 10+ feet long so that's probably part of your problem. I'd switch it to about 5-6' of 3/16" tubing. Not sure why you're having so much difference with your picnic tap...I've never used one on my system. What kind of faucet are you using?

I'm using a standard chrome faucet now. It's all my LHB shop had. Most, if not all of the guys in my local club use 1/4" an that's what they all suggested. I think I'll swap it out for 5/16" like you suggested and see how it goes. Thanks

I'm using a standard chrome faucet now. It's all my LHB shop had. Most, if not all of the guys in my local club use 1/4" an that's what they all suggested. I think I'll swap it out for 5/16" like you suggested and see how it goes. Thanks

The faucet might have a little to do with it too. I started out with a basic chrome faucet then switched to a Perlick because of the sticking issues associated with the chrome faucets. It's been a while and it could be my imagination, but swear I remember getting a little more foam with the chrome faucet compared to the Perlick. I think the tubing is the bigger issue though, so I'd give that a try first. Oh and make sure you get 3/16 and not 5/16. 5/16 will have even less resistance than 1/4 so it will just make matters worse.

P.S. One other thing I forgot to ask. Are you using a tower on your keezer? If so you can get foaming due to warm beer lines inside your tower. I still think the tubing size is your biggest issue but even with 3/16" lines you may have some foaming issues on the first pour if you use a tower. If that's the case, consider using a PC fan to blow cool air up in the tower body.

How'd you carbonate?

I have nearly the exact same thread going on now (but different line lengths, psi, and temp) and its been suggested that my beer is overcarbed. (I burst carbed by rocking/rolling @ serving pressure, then set it to 20psi for about a day before returning to serving pressure)

from reading, an overcarbed beer will come out flat and foamy due to co2 coming out of suspension when you pour.

I force carb at 25psi for a day or so and then down to serving pressure. When I came home last night I pulled a pint off the tap and it actually wasn't as bad as before. Maybe it was a carbing issue. Ill pull one later when I brew and see where it is at that point. I'm using a collar on my keezer.

image-3133739206.jpg

I was using 5 feet of 3/16 and I always got a lot of foam. Just yesterday I switched to 10 feet of 3/16 and so far it seems to be much, much better. I'd definitely recommend going with about 10 feet of 3/16 if you continue to have more foam that is acceptable.

Latest posts

Back