Mini keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elgee

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to force carboniate one of those 1 gallon mini kegs? I want to find a way to try it, but not sure if the keg is too thin to put that much pressure on it without it breaking?

Has anyone tried to force carboniate one of those 1 gallon mini kegs? I want to find a way to try it, but not sure if the keg is too thin to put that much pressure on it without it breaking?

I am not sure about force carbonating but you can use 1 tablespoon of household sugar in one of those, and wait 4 weeks. You can get grey bungs for them at Midwest Supplies. Keep in mind this is not for the Heineken style of mini keg. Then chill it and enjoy!

Put a CO2 on the beer and wait a week or two and it's carbed. There is no need to go above serving pressure to force carb a beer. Also their is no way to bleed off the extra pressure after force carbing at a higher pressure is done.

I am going to keg with a spaten mini keg this week. The keg bungs at midwest fit perfectly. 1tbsp priming sugar per keg. I would NOT use a Heineken mini keg. The internal CO2 cartridge is plastic and very difficult to sanitize. Midwest also sells plain silver mini kegs. Ill let you all know how it turns out in a couple of weeks.

Whenever I have made 1 gallon batches, I use 1 once of priming sugar for bottles, I assume that same amount will be fine for mini-kegs?

Not all agree, but in my opinion.. No. Much less priming sugar for kegs, or it will be too foamy.

My plan, 2 tablespoons sugar for 2 mini kegs, then half of the normal 5gal sugar, or about 2.5 oz for the remaining 2.5 gallons.

In your case.
1 gallon keg = 1 tbsp sugar
Or
1 gallon bottles =1 oz sugar

A tbsp is 1/2 ounce, so you use approx half the sugar to keg as you do to bottle.

Why do kegs require less priming sugar? I would think it would be the same for the mini keg, although the reason I could think of would be the thin material as opposed to a bottle with a cap? I don't want my beer to be under carbonated. Also, how much water do you mix with the tablespoon of sugar? When I do the 1 ounce, I mix a cup of water and boil for 5 mins.

Not sure why. I got my info from Joy of Homebrewing 3rd Edition page 322.

Back