Trappist High Gravity 3787 Stuck at 1.019

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tekintl

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Long time reader, this is my first time making a post.

I made the jump to all-grain after a year of extract brewing. My first few AG batches were perfect, however i am having some trouble with my latest concoction.
I brewed a Surly Cynic 10 days ago I used 3787 yeast. I pitched a 1.5L starter at about 66 degrees and kept the temps at there for 24 hours before pushing it to 72. I had vigorous fermentation, but its been stuck at 1.019 for a week. I tried carefully rousing the yeast a few days ago to no avail. I am used to seeing my fermentation get to 1.010.

Should I repitch? Maybe I could even use 1056 just to finish it off?

thanks for reading!

can you post the recipe? that might provide some clues.

what temp did you mash at? how good (precise) is your thermometer? if you mashed high, you might have created a lot of unfermentable sugars.

3787 isn't always the fastest finisher. it'll keep munching away for a while. not sure if it's going to hit 1.010, but it might well nibble off a few more points.

I use 2 thermometers, one is digital and one is mechanical. they both typically read the same temp.

MASH INGREDIENTS
- 8.75 lbs Franco-Belges Pilsner Malt
- 0.63 lb. Simsons Golden Naked Oats
- 0.63 lbs. Weyermann Acidulated Malt
- 0.63 lbs. Belgian Aromatic Malt

MASH SCHEDULE: SINGLE INFUSION
Sacch’ Rest: 150° F for 60 minutes

Mashout: 170° F for 10 minutes

3787 isn't always the fastest finisher. it'll keep munching away fora while. not sure if it's going to hit 1.010, but it might well nibble off a few more points.

That is my experience with 3787 also. It has only been 10 days. I have had 3787 take several weeks to get the last few points down. It will start off and get most of the fermentation pretty fast ( just like your brew) but then take even longer to get it down to FG. Keep it warm and give it a couple more weeks and check again. This is a yeast that cannot be rushed.

can i rack it to a secondary to free-up my primary?

I would also like to know this. I have a RIS going on two weeks from 1.08 to 1.02, but I racked to secondary with some adjuncts hoping to get below 1.015.
Thanks.

I've used 3787 to do a Belgian Pale Ale (brewed last month). It's slow to dry out. On my brew I was 1 week in primary, then rack to 2nd. It continued to dry out for another 11 days and cleared up. I've also brewed with 3724 & 3711. My advice would be rack to 2nd and let it do its thing. You can also agitate the primary every other day to keep nudging things along.

Also lots of these Belgian ales like to ferment around 70+ so depending on your taste profile you might want to put it in a small room with a space heater or get a heat blanket. For my Saisons I started in the mid 60's but as I increased the heat on the space heater - fermentation really picked up in the mid 70's +. Supposedly you can take some of these yeasts into the low 80's w/o problems. I have 20gal fermenting in 4 batches right now. Brewed 2 days apart. :D

I've used 3787 to do a Belgian Pale Ale (brewed last month). It's slow to dry out. On my brew I was 1 week in primary, then rack to 2nd. It continued to dry out for another 11 days and cleared up. I've also brewed with 3724 & 3711. My advice would be rack to 2nd and let it do its thing. You can also agitate the primary every other day to keep nudging things along.

one week of primary isn't enough for this yeast. you'll want to do at least 2 or 3 weeks. and racking to secondary isn't going to aid finishing up, it'll actually slow things down since the beer is being taken off the yeast. leave it on the yeast cake.

I take that back... I was in primary (11/1 ~ 11/13) OG 1.086 aerated and 2 packages of 3787. Racked to 2nd 11/13 @ 1.022 for 11 days and it dried out to 1.010 by 11/24.

thanks for all the support gents.
I turned up the temp to 75, roused the yeast a little, and 3 days later, I am reading 1.015.
So as previous members indicated, this Belgian strain just likes to take its time finishing.

Congrats - let us know what it dries out to. The 3724 I have going in "How Rye am I - Saison" is being pokey too. 7days 1.059 ~ 1.038 @ 74 degrees. The other 5gal with 3711 7days 1.059 - 1.010 @ 74 degrees (recipe says to dry to .008 or .006).

19 isn't all that high. I'd expect it to come down some, but you're not too far off. It won't be a bad beer if it's in the teens.

I did the how rye saison over the summer with 3724 and it was excellent. it finished at 1.004 and was nice and dry with some kicking esters. i primaried 3 wks and it was a done deal. i always make adequate starters and never had any problems with this brew getting stuck at a high f.g. I will say that since all 11 gallons are gone, i'm wishing i had more.

Very common with high gravity beers. It could take 4-5 weeks to finally get down to the final gravity with 3787. Some suggest heating to 80 deg F, but I find that patience is a better option. What is your FG reading now?

I agree with Sweetcell, don't rack the beer from the primary.

Back