Looking for a Pumpkin Wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twolvesmnfan

Reaction score
So I'm a big wheat beer fan and am really interested in brewing a pumpkin beer. I'm looking for a recipe that may consist of 2-row, white wheat, flake wheat, or flaked oats. I have all of those grains on hand so would prefer to use one or two of them but would be able to get others. Also, from what I've read the use of spices gives you a lot more flavor than using real pumpkin. Any suggestions???

I'm fermenting a pumpkin dunkelweizen in the primary on my porch, atm. I used what was around my brewcloset, leftover from other things, so the grain bill leans towards the complex.

I use BIAB. I can ramp up the wheat. I could use up to 100% wheat if I really wanted to!

3 gallon batch, BIAB
3.75 gallon water to start
og 1.048
fg (targeted) 1.014
4.45% abv

8 ounces 2-row
2 pounds red wheat
2 ounces carafa i
8 ounces caramunich
1 pound of Munich
2 ounces Quick Oats
1 whole roasted pumpkin sans stem and seeds (I measured mine to 2.33 pounds)
8 ounces of Piloncillo sugar
Bitter addition only of 16 IBU
I used Chinese five Spice and Pumpkin Pie Spice as aroma additions, about a teaspoon each, give or take for freshness.
Munich Wheat Yeast kept nice and cool at about 60-64

I have no idea if it'll be good or not. I have high hopes.

My advice is to toast some malts and wheat, and make your own caramel malts if you want to add a flavor dimension to your brew with what you have around. You can roast your own chocolate wheat for color, for example.

I used an overnight mash with the smashed up pumpkin, because I was concerned about conversion. I did the same with a big butternut squash stout, and the outcome was good. Fingers crossed for my second and final seasonal brew, at a more session-style strength.

There is an excellent recipe at beertools.com. Just search for pumpkin wheat. It is an extract recipe. I would convert it to all grain for you but don't have the time right now. I made it 2 years ago, planned on making it again this year, but couldn't get to it. It was excellent. It has moderately high alcohol (nearly 9%) and needs some conditioning/ mellowing- 2, if not 3 months. If you need it quicker, I would jack it down to 6-7% abv and temper the spice additions. You can add spices in secondary, however spices come through really strong and needs that additional time to mellow, which is fine is you make this up to its OG. There are a few good comments regarding the beer on the website too.

5.5 gallons
OG 1.084. FG 1.016
Approx 30 ibu

0.5 lbs caramunich
0.5 lbs 40L
6 lbs dry wheat extract
3 lbs dry light extract
0.75 lbs brown sugar
.25 lbs molasses (I used treacle)
15 oz can Libby's canned pumpkin (NO SPICES ADDED!)
1.5 oz tettnanger 5.6% (45 minutes)
1.5 oz tettnanger 5.6% (10 minutes)
WLP001 or another clean neutral American yeast (us-05)

To boil:
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1/16 tsp clove
1 can strained Libby's Pumpkin (15 oz)

Added 1/2 cup molasses and 1.5 cups brown sugar

Mashing with the pumpkin can be more trouble than its worth. I used 2 cans- one in the mash, one in the boil. Draining the mash was an absolute horror show. I also baked the pumpkin on cookie sheet in oven for 15 minutes at 325.

Mashed at 154
Giving this beer time to meld and to allow the spices to mellow & loose their bite/ sharpness is huge. It is a big beer, so time is on your side. As I said you can lower the OG and not use any spices post boil which would allow for a shorter maturation time.

Brew-in-a-bag is a godsend for beers like this. No stuck sparge, like, ever! Even a partial mash in a bag would be easier than mashing a pumpkin in a wheat beer.

Bottled mine today. The young, flat dregs came out tasting like a graff. It's a weird balance between the cider-like caramel apple of piloncillo and pumpkin and weissen's banana/clove yeast flavors, with the lightness in body from a high percentage of pumpkin and wheat malt. Very pleasant and smooth, like sipping a caramel apple cider mixed with a light weizen. We'll see if more pumpkin comes out as it bottle conditions.

Back