Spotted Cow-like brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDey

Reaction score
My wife went to Wisconsin and fell in love with New Glarus Brewery's 'Spotted Cow'. It is labelled as a 'farmhouse ale'-not sure if that is supposed to refer to the belgian style...but this beer is pretty light, flavorful but very easy to drink. It reminds me of a Kolsch. Anyone heard of it?

Also-any ideas on something like it that is more widely available? New Glarus brews aren't available outside Wisconsin-so we're looking for substitutes.

I live in Kentucky, so when I go to Wisconsin I try to drink as much spotted cow as I can. And I bring some back with me. So far I havent had anything that closely resemble spotted cow. You could say Blue Moon, but its not the same. Ive tried to find some clone recipes, but have come up short in my search.

being in minnesota we have a very big abundance of spotted cow being shipped across the river from wisconsin and ive got to say there arent too many 'hey this reminds me of...' ales out there to it compare to.

I know they are really big on using local wisconsin grown grains and corn to brew their beers and ales and this is possibly their own version of a belgian 'wit' maybe?

im no expert but i usually pick this brew up once or twice a month and needless to say its good, pretty original creation.

Thanks-it really is a pretty unique beer (and it goes down so easy). I know they use corn, and that seems to add an interesting flavor. SWMBO doesn't care for the fruitiness of Blue Moon, etc...I thought the Honker's Kolsch tasted the most similar, but it still wasn't quite as smooth. Oh well, guess we've got an excuse to go to the land of cheese.

you should bug your local beer/liquor store into talking with a distributor to pick up Spotted Cow. Keep bugging and bugging until they give in! Maybe they will buy a distribution contract!

Hmm, never heard of this beer before. Sounds like I may have to look for it next time I hit the beer store. :D

I had some of that Spotted Cow in the Dells earlier this year. It's pretty good stuff. I think I'd call it a Belgian-style wit for sure. From what I remember, I didn't seem to have much of the orange or corriander flavor. I wonder if they're using something more local instead.

Edit - wonder if it might be a Saison. I don't have any experience with the style, but that might fit the bill.

shunoshi said:
Hmm, never heard of this beer before. Sounds like I may have to look for it next time I hit the beer store. :D

yea im sure you can find it at any store that sells a decent amount of micros. I live in Brooklyn Park and i can find it but i dont know of any liquor stores around Hopkins, even though i work in Hopkins!

I'll take a wild stab. I think the grain bill is closer to a cream ale but they probably use a saison yeast which explains the farmhouse style moniker.

The yeast is suspended in the bottle. If you're serious, you should be able to make a starter from the dregs in the bottle.

You can send them an email and they might give you some other hints.

olllllo said:
I'll take a wild stab. I think the grain bill is closer to a cream ale but they probably use a saison yeast which explains the farmhouse style moniker.

The yeast is suspended in the bottle. If you're serious, you should be able to make a starter from the dregs in the bottle.

You can send them an email and they might give you some other hints.

yea good point now that you mention it has that texture and mouthy feel as a lighter cream ale.

yet still i think they have something very unique going, i couldnt tell you what

Time for lunch. All this spotted cow talk is making me thirsty for a pint and it's on tap at the Applebee's right down the road. :D

mr_stimey said:
yea im sure you can find it at any store that sells a decent amount of micros. I live in Brooklyn Park and i can find it but i dont know of any liquor stores around Hopkins, even though i work in Hopkins!

Yeah, I'll swing by US Liquors and look for it. If you have the chance, stop by there sometime. It's on Hwy 7 and Hopkins Crossroad sharing a stripmall with Lunds. They have a HUGE selection of microbrew and imports. It's probably the best selection I've ever seen. I'd bet they might have it.

shunoshi said:
Yeah, I'll swing by US Liquors and look for it. If you have the chance, stop by there sometime. It's on Hwy 7 and Hopkins Crossroad sharing a stripmall with Lunds. They have a HUGE selection of microbrew and imports. It's probably the best selection I've ever seen. I'd bet they might have it.

Ill have to do that, thats on the way to Midwest Supplies!

PS Do you by chance do all grain brewing at all? Ive been trying to find a local veteran to watch do an AG brew so i can get a first had look at it

I like Spotted Cow and all but New Glarus has sooooo many other brews out there that, quite frankly, I think are even better.

Fat Squirrel (nut brown)-is my favorite,
Road Slush (oatmeal Stout)-also excellent, though seasonal,
Uff-Da Bock --awesome,
Totally Naked (blonde)- excellent lawnmower beer

there's more but I can't think of them at the moment.

BTW I think Spotted Cow is more of a Kolsch than a Wit. I don't taste any orange in it at all. Just my .02:mug:

mr_stimey said:
Ill have to do that, thats on the way to Midwest Supplies!

PS Do you by chance do all grain brewing at all? Ive been trying to find a local veteran to watch do an AG brew so i can get a first had look at it

Nope, unfortunately don't have the space nor means for AG. Just starting to get into PM brewing. If you find someone in MN who does and doesn't mind visitors, let me know though. I'd really like to see it done in person as well. :D

shunoshi said:
Nope, unfortunately don't have the space nor means for AG. Just starting to get into PM brewing. If you find someone in MN who does and doesn't mind visitors, let me know though. I'd really like to see it done in person as well. :D

yea same here, i know how that goes....ill for sure keep you posted if i find someone who doesnt mind looking over their shoulders...

in the meantime are you down for a brew day?

Out of all the New Glarus Beers Spotted Cow is the worst. I won't even drink the stuff (unless it's free) It has about the same amount of flavor as Miller Lite. Do your self a favor and try some of their other beers. Hometown Blonde is a very good Pilsner comma Fat Squirel is a decent Nut Brown comma and Stone Soup (seasonal) is one of the best Belgian Style Beers I've had that wasn't overly strong in ABV.

I gotta agree with the other Sconnie's here and say that Spotted Cow is probably my least favorite of the New Glarus brews. It's likely mostly because it's absolutely everywhere here - every bar, every restaurant, every liquor stor and gas station - and I've just had enough of it already.

Really, you can't go wrong with any New Glarus product though. They all :rockin:, and I feel blessed everytime I walk into the store for beer. My favorites are definitely Fat Squirrel and the IPA though - just not typical for those styles at all, and soooooooo delicious.

If you get the chance, try any of their "unplugged" beers (they come in 4 packs and have foil over the cap). Some examples are "Enigma," "bourbon barrel bock," and "belgian quadrupple." These are the true gems of New Glarus.

My advice, feed the Cow to the SWMBO (or is it the other way around?). Get yourself something else/good from New Glarus.

I am planning another trip soon to the NG brewery for a tour. I'll see if I can weasel any recipe info outta them, but don't get your hopes up.

P.S. I'd give up my first born son (as soon as I make one) for an accurate Fat Squirrel clone recipe.

Just to remind eberyone the OP asked how to go about replicating said variety.
His SWMBO already knows that it's the best damned beer ever.

Our opinions of the best New Glarus beer don't help him at all.

Thanks.

olllllo said:

Thanks.

Darn mods, alwys gotta... moderate something, dontcha?

Based off of the description on the website:
http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/beers/spottedcow.html
I'd say use Briess pale 2-row, maybe 20% white wheat, some flaked barley, and maybe 5-10% flaked maize. Pitch a mildly fruity belgian strain such as wyeast 3724 or 3942 and modify based on the result. I'd venture that any spicy/fruity flavors in there are all yeast derived - no corriander or other crap. Aim for it to finish relatively dry.

mr_stimey said:
in the meantime are you down for a brew day?

I'd definitely be down for a brewday sometime down the road here. My buddy frequents this forum as well (Uniconfis on here). We may have to all get together. Maybe we can even add on a couple more if there are other Minnesotans on here lurking.

olllllo said:

Thanks.

Sorry for the :off: olllllo :eek:

shunoshi said:
I'd definitely be down for a brewday sometime down the road here. My buddy frequents this forum as well (Uniconfis on here). We may have to all get together. Maybe we can even add on a couple more if there are other Minnesotans on here lurking.

Sorry for the :off: olllllo :eek:

:off:yea i dont hear from many minnesotans on this forum, although i am a fairly new member...im sure there are some out there

i just stopped at Midwest on my way home from work and picked ingredients for a Hefe and an IPA im going to be getting my brew on this saturday.

Here is one that I found on Beer Recipator:

Brewer: Freddy Brewmaster Email: -
Beer: Spotted Cow clone Style: Wisconsin Farmhouse ale
Type: All grain Size: 5 gallons
Color:
5 HCU (~5 SRM)
Bitterness: 15 IBU
OG: 1.047 FG: 1.010
Alcohol: 4.8% v/v (3.8% w/w)
Grain: 5 lb. Belgian Pilsner
2 lb. Belgian Munich
8 oz. Raw barley
4 oz. Flaked corn
4 oz. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)
Mash: 80% efficiency
90 minute mash
30 at 154
60 at 170
Boil: 90 minutes SG 1.043 5.5 gallons
Hops: .5 oz. Northern Brewer (8.0% AA, 60 min.)
1 oz. Saaz (3.75% AA, 1 min.)
Yeast: Recultured Spotted cow yeast, or if you cant get it, a good wheat yeast that has a fruity essence
Log: Spotted cow is a cask conditioned ale, since that is expensive there are substitutes that can be put in the secondary. Ferment around 70
Carbonation: In order to achieve the full flavor of spotted cow, bottling is better then kegging, since the yeast enhances the flavor (which is why wheat yeast works well), while i have never primed a keg, it would be the way to keg this beer
Tasting: You might try adding a pound or two of wheat malt or some possibly biscuit malt, they would blend well with the other flavors

New Glarus doesn't distribute outside of Wisconsin.

Bernie Brewer said:
I like Spotted Cow and all but New Glarus has sooooo many other brews out there that, quite frankly, I think are even better.

Fat Squirrel (nut brown)-is my favorite,
Road Slush (oatmeal Stout)-also excellent, though seasonal,
Uff-Da Bock --awesome,
Totally Naked (blonde)- excellent lawnmower beer

there's more but I can't think of them at the moment.

BTW I think Spotted Cow is more of a Kolsch than a Wit. I don't taste any orange in it at all. Just my .02:mug:

I'd agree, she got a sampler pack when she was up there and I REALLY liked the Fat Sqirrel and the Totally Naked (isn't that a lager?). The Cow is good-but it was by far her favorite...she's mainly a Mich Light girl so I'm doing what I can!!

Short Drive said:
Here is one that I found on Beer Recipator:

Brewer: Freddy Brewmaster Email: -
Beer: Spotted Cow clone Style: Wisconsin Farmhouse ale
Type: All grain Size: 5 gallons
Color:
5 HCU (~5 SRM)
Bitterness: 15 IBU
OG: 1.047 FG: 1.010
Alcohol: 4.8% v/v (3.8% w/w)
Grain: 5 lb. Belgian Pilsner
2 lb. Belgian Munich
8 oz. Raw barley
4 oz. Flaked corn
4 oz. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)
Mash: 80% efficiency
90 minute mash
30 at 154
60 at 170
Boil: 90 minutes SG 1.043 5.5 gallons
Hops: .5 oz. Northern Brewer (8.0% AA, 60 min.)
1 oz. Saaz (3.75% AA, 1 min.)
Yeast: Recultured Spotted cow yeast, or if you cant get it, a good wheat yeast that has a fruity essence
Log: Spotted cow is a cask conditioned ale, since that is expensive there are substitutes that can be put in the secondary. Ferment around 70
Carbonation: In order to achieve the full flavor of spotted cow, bottling is better then kegging, since the yeast enhances the flavor (which is why wheat yeast works well), while i have never primed a keg, it would be the way to keg this beer
Tasting: You might try adding a pound or two of wheat malt or some possibly biscuit malt, they would blend well with the other flavors

New Glarus doesn't distribute outside of Wisconsin.

While it's certainly possible that this recipe will taste similar, I'd doubt it. I just don't think you'll get the same flavors out of a belgian pils malt that you would from a WI grown 2-row. Which is why I suggested Briess. Being a WI located maltster, that'd probably be your best bet for getting a WI grown barley. You could always try contacting them, I bet they'd be able to suggest something.
http://www.briess.com/

FWIW, some of the other NG clone recipes I've seen on the internets reccomend a kolsch yeast also. So it may work well. Perhaps their in-house strain is similar, and they use it in many of their brews, seing as how many breweries only use two or three types of yeast for all their beers.

My SWMBO is on my ass to replicate it as it is her favorite beer. So here is what I came up with, feel free to critique.

5 gal batch

8 lbs pale 2-row
1 lb vienna
1 lb flaked corn
0.5 lb flaked barley
1 oz Fuggle for 60 min and .5 oz at 10min
Kolsch yeast

Mash at 152 F

Resurrected! I think we need an "emoticon" to represent "resurrected".

Bniesen, if you can get it easily, harvest some yeast from the bottom of a couple Spotted Cow bottles as previously mentioned..

I make a pretty good Spotted Cow clone (recipe's below). I mash low, 150. The wife and I think it's pretty close and we have the fresh stuff to compare it to.

60.5% pils
15.5% flaked maize
9.6% vienna
4.8% dextrine
4.8% flaked barley
4.8% 10L
14g Liberty @ 60
14g Liberty @ 10

Resurrected! I think we need an "emoticon" to represent "resurrected".

Bniesen, if you can get it easily, harvest some yeast from the bottom of a couple Spotted Cow bottles as previously mentioned..

do you have any tips to do this successfully

We're down here in Rochester and to our knowledge (and that of the OP) you shouldn't be able to buy the New Glarus products outside of Wisconsin. BUT if you want to cross over into Hudson via 94 and take the 2nd exit and go to Chicones Liquor Store you won't be disappointed. Check out their current beer list

ALSO FWIW - We're brewing all-grain in Rochester, there's quite a few of us actually....

John Palmer has some tips on harvesting commercial yeast in his book "How to Brew" ( www.howtobrew.com ).

Basically, thoroughly sanitize the neck and rim of the bottle, pour the bottle's contents carefully into a glass leaving about a 1/2" of liquid at the bottom. Swirl the remaining liquid to get the yeast off the bottom and pour the contents into a small starter.

You should probably do this with 3 or so bottles, to get a good amount of yeast into the starter. You also might want to step up the starter to build up even more yeast.

My SWMBO is on my ass to replicate it as it is her favorite beer. So here is what I came up with, feel free to critique.

5 gal batch

8 lbs pale 2-row
1 lb vienna
1 lb flaked corn
0.5 lb flaked barley
1 oz Fuggle for 60 min and .5 oz at 10min
Kolsch yeast

Mash at 152 F

I might use a saison or brett yeast, should be a better match for the farmhouse ale style.

Back