Buy keg kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dubs

Reaction score
I trying to see if a keg kit I found would be worth the price, or if I should buy and the items individually.

Package deal
3x corny ball lock kegs
1x 5lb CO2 tank
1x CO2 Regulator
1x Hoses and 1x Quick Disconnect
3x New 0 Rings
___
$250 Shipped

I can get kegs locally for $30 each or $100 for 4, but I'll have to buy everything else online. It looks like a 5lb co2 tank + regulator would be close to $100 and I'd still need connectors/o rings.

Is the keg kit a good deal or should I keep looking?

Hi

Is the stuff in the kit *exactly* what you would buy if you did it piecemeal? For instance, is that the regulator you would pick.

The hoses, connectors and o-rings should be less than $30.

Bob

Seems about the same... convenience in just ordering once though.

Hi

Getting everything at once likely saves you some on shipping. Just make sure that all the things you are getting are what you want. I still have unused bits and pieces sitting around from various kit buys over the years. They seemed like a real good deal at the time....

Bob

Somewhat off topic, but where are you sourcing your ball lock kegs for $100/4? That's a super great deal and if you're close to me, I'd be interested in helping you turn a few for a few bucks.

For your questions though, the deal.is good but not great. You can get a new co2 cylinder for 25-30 bucks and fill it for $10-15. Regulators are anywhere from 20-70, but the lower end ones are just as good. (I've got an extra if you're close), and then your hoses and disconnects ... Don't underestimate how much those can add up over time. A buck for a quick disconnect, a couple bucks for a length of hose, five bucks for a keg connector and a buck for a pair of oteika clamps, your looking at 10 bucks a hose by the time you're done. Then you need a gas line, and once you realize how much of a pita it is to disconnect and reconnect all the time, you'll want a manifold and more hoses.

My advice is to think about the end result of what you want. Starting small is ok but you'll quickly end up with lots of leftover parts when you expand... Is the wife ok with that, do you have the storage space? All good questions to be answered up front.

Somewhat off topic, but where are you sourcing your ball lock kegs for $100/4? That's a super great deal and if you're close to me, I'd be interested in helping you turn a few for a few bucks.

For your questions though, the deal.is good but not great. You can get a new co2 cylinder for 25-30 bucks and fill it for $10-15. Regulators are anywhere from 20-70, but the lower end ones are just as good. (I've got an extra if you're close), and then your hoses and disconnects ... Don't underestimate how much those can add up over time. A buck for a quick disconnect, a couple bucks for a length of hose, five bucks for a keg connector and a buck for a pair of oteika clamps, your looking at 10 bucks a hose by the time you're done. Then you need a gas line, and once you realize how much of a pita it is to disconnect and reconnect all the time, you'll want a manifold and more hoses.

My advice is to think about the end result of what you want. Starting small is ok but you'll quickly end up with lots of leftover parts when you expand... Is the wife ok with that, do you have the storage space? All good questions to be answered up front.
Thanks for you help.

I'm in Hartford, CT. If anyone local is interested in the kegs I can put you in touch with the seller.

Here are the best prices for the individual parts that I could find online. Let me know if anything is missing/way off. I couldn't find a $25 C02 tank or a $20 regulator.

~$80 3x Kegs (4x $100) (local)
$45 1x 5# co2 tank
$45 dual gauge regulator
$10 1x Ball Lock gas and liquid connectors
$09 3x O-Ring sets
$10? CO2 tube/attachment
~200 Total

I thought about trying to piece my kit together, but the ease of just ordering everything at once and knowing it was good quality was my main reason for just going the kit route. I ordered my 2 keg system from MWS knowing that I could easily expand it in the future.

Hi

No need to ship, if they are good kegs for $25 each, I can dispatch an elf to pick them up. (It's *amazing* what people will do for free beer....)

Bob

Latest posts

Back