Transplanting hops in fall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jester5120

Reaction score
I'm moving to a new house in the next week and want to take my hops with me. I won't have access to them in the spring when i've heard it's best to transplant. My question is what will give them the best chance of surviving the transplant and winter in their new location?

Just dig them up carefully and put them in a hole the same depth at the new place. They'd rather you not do that to them, but they'll live.
When you have them out of the ground you can just put them in a black trash bag and mist a little water into it. You don't want them to dry out too much if it ends up taking you a few days to get them in.

I'd add a layer of mulch over them also, once they're in the ground again.

Great thanks. Any advice on whether or not to cut the bines? I've heard cut them off completely, leave a few feet, and don't cut at all

I'd say cut them all the way off. It will make it easier to move them, and I don't think it matters much for the plant either way.

Latest posts

Back