Hop Sock Utilization?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyolympia

Reaction score
Do you notice a decrease in utilization when using hop socks? (The stretchy kind that look like actual socks.)

Even if there is no decrease in IBUs when using hop socks, would you still expect a decrease in hop flavor or aroma in a heavily late-hopped beer?

Does it matter how full you fill each sock? Is .75 oz too much? Does utilization suffer if you use the socks more than once?

For purposes of this analysis, I'm using Chinook pellets. Thanks in advance for your input.

Do you notice a decrease in utilization when using hop socks? (The stretchy kind that look like actual socks.)

Even if there is no decrease in IBUs when using hop socks, would you still expect a decrease in hop flavor or aroma in a heavily late-hopped beer?

Does it matter how full you fill each sock? Is .75 oz too much? Does utilization suffer if you use the socks more than once?

For purposes of this analysis, I'm using Chinook pellets. Thanks in advance for your input.

If there is a decrease in utilization,it isn't much. I've always used hop socks,& never more than 1oz in each. Pellets,anyway. And I do a lot of late hop additions,so I can say that it works pretty well. My latest is so much so,in fact,it's going to have to mellow in the bottles a bit. I already gave it 3 weeks+ in primary. I've used Kent Golding,Willamette,US Perle,& Czech Saaz so far.

I am using hop bag holder, and I take care that bag is long enough so hops can loosely swim in it. As said, decrease is small, so as long as hops aren't tightly pushed in sock there is no worry about it.

And I do a lot of late hop additions,so I can say that it works pretty well.

Do you drop sock into fermenter so it can swim free or you attach it on top of fermentor (taking care that rubber stopper shrink all space between sock and throat of fermentor)?

I used to use hop socks in my kettle but have decided there's no need for me. But I will use them for sure to dry hop.

I use a muslin bag for my hop pellets.....and double tie the end and toss the whole thing in pot and let it roll around in the boil.

I never put more than 1 oz in a bag....

I am using hop bag holder, and I take care that bag is long enough so hops can loosely swim in it. As said, decrease is small, so as long as hops aren't tightly pushed in sock there is no worry about it.

Do you drop sock into fermenter so it can swim free or you attach it on top of fermentor (taking care that rubber stopper shrink all space between sock and throat of fermentor)?

I use them in the boil & the fermenter. Either way,they float around. They also roll around a bit in the boil. In the fermenter,it just floats around on top,since the hop oils will disperse on their own. No need to sink it. Ever make sun tea,& sit there watching it the 1st 5 mins or so? That's convection,same thing in the fermenter. I get good dry hopping results this way.

Back