hehe thought you guys would get a kick outta this...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phrasty

Reaction score
OK as I've previously mentioned, I'm new to the home brewing world... and BTW I think ill be here a while :D. Anyways so being new I obviously dont have all the equipment. after my first brew on my stove top, I realized I needed a better/more efficient burner....as well as a household that appreciated the aroma of Hops a little more. lol. So anyways lastnight comes around and after a trip to the HW store and returning without a high BTU burner... i had an idea!!! I have a coal pot I usually use for big boils... boiling crabs and large batches of soups and such, thought id give it a try...and you know what?? I think its a keeper!!!! (and cheaper than propane to boot!!) Check it out.. hehe:

The lit lump coals
Screenshot_5.jpg

Pot on the Burner
Screenshot_4.jpg

The perfect Boil!!
Screenshot_3.jpg

Im happy with it! lol

Cheers.

That is pretty awesome actually, it's bringing it back old school like!

Nice! I bet it's a bit hard to get going, but it clearly kicks ass once it's lit! I like it.

I wish I could still brew inside. Even SWMBO kinda likes the brew day aromas. My stove won't boil 15 gallons of wort.

Awesome. I might try it with charcoal someday. Then when the wort is done you can throw on some steaks.....mmmm steak.

Wow that may have inspired me to go all grain... I could totally do that and sooo much cheaper than propane or elec in my case. What do you do to get the coal going though? Start a wood fire then add coal?

Badass old school, I love it.

To light the coal, all I do is crumple newspaper and a bit of kerosene then pile the coal around the paper and light. In about 20 mins your ready to throw on the pot... couldnt be easier! When the pot is off for the malt addition i add a couple more lumps of coal and thats it for the burn! Who needs fancy schmancy propane :D

Cheers

wonder if that would work with a hardwood fire? Say lots of nice chunks of hard rock maple...

hmmmm?

The only thing that would be more hardcore than that is to light the fire, heat up some non-porous stones for a couple of hours, and then toss those into the wort to boil it.

Very sweet, though!

Burn maple! NOOOO! Build something beautiful with it. Or if it's unusable as building materials, use it to smoke something or at least in a fireplace for a nice smell.

Back