Ipswich IPA Clone Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmith1279

Gridiron Beerworks
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm up in the Boston area for vacation and just had a delicious IPA made by Ipswich. Does anyone have a clone recipe for this? Preferably an AG.

Here is a good start:

Ipswich IPA - Our IPA is an unfiltered cross between an English and American IPA, with a strong, dry bitterness balanced with a slight malty sweetness. A mixture of first-rate U.S. and Belgian malts, combined with English roasted barley and highly hopped with Cascade and Warrior hops make our IPA a brewery favorite.

6.3% ABV
60 IBUs
Availability: Year-round

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I just had to ask if this beer really has roasted barley in it. It's a very good beer, and it's definitely got something a little different going on compared to your average IPA, but I never picked up roasted barley. I'll have to try it again.

On that note, has anyone here tried brewing an IPA with a couple ounces of roasted barley in it?

Many commercial brewers use a small percentage of a reall dark malt just for subtle color adjustment (Jolly Pumpkin Bam for example). It might be as little as .5%.

As mentioned looking for new life on the post.Anyone ever produce a successful recipe for this beer?
Any contact with Mercury Brewing asking for help?

Picked up an Ipswich sampler today and am enjoying the India Pale Ale right now. It’s been a fun beer to revisit; one I’ve been meaning to go back to for awhile. Most of the East Coast IPAs that were around when I got into craft beer are gone. Hazy IPAs have taken over.

I looked up the beer on the Ipswich website, and it wasn’t there at all. My gut says the India Pale Ale may be discontinued. The date on my can was late July, so this could be very recent.

Based on the description above and living near Ipswich, here is my best guess for a clone recipe:

5 Gal Batch
OG 1.062
FG 1.015
IBU 60
SRM 14

US 2-row 86.5% (10lb 6oz)
Caramel/Crystal 40L 8.3% (1lb)
Biscuit Malt (or Amber/Victory) 4.2% (8oz)
British Roasted Barley 1% (2oz)
Mash 152F

1oz Warrior 60 min 47 IBU
1oz Cascade 20 min 14 IBU
1oz Cascade Flamout
2-4oz Cascade Dry Hop

WLP007/WY098/A01House or Nottingham
or culture yeast from Ipswich Ale can

If I poked around the wayback machine, I might be able to find more info. I’m fairly confident that recipe will at least get you close.

Extract option:
Replace the malt with:
3.3 lb Dark LME
3.3 lb Amber LME
1.5 lb Amber DME

Last edited:
Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I just had to ask if this beer really has roasted barley in it. It's a very good beer, and it's definitely got something a little different going on compared to your average IPA, but I never picked up roasted barley. I'll have to try it again.

On that note, has anyone here tried brewing an IPA with a couple ounces of roasted barley in it?
I make RED IPA with 0.5% Roasted Barley

Back