Double immersion wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chask31

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had an odd idea in my usual drunken stupor. I was wondering if anyone ever tried this. I was thinking of doing full boils but in two separate pots. I want to build two 20' immersion wort chillers and connect them via some tubing. So the water would flow from the sink to IC#1 in pot#1 then out into IC#2 which is in pot#2. Should work right?

Well, you'd cool the first pot and then run hot water through the second. So the maximum temp of the water flowing in the second pot would be no lower than the temp of the wort in the first. You'd be better off chilling them one at a time.

The water temp from pot#1 will be at almost boiling going into pot#2. So little to no thermal heat transfer will occur in pot #2.
Why not stagger your boils by 10 - 15 minutes or so. Move your IC to the second pot when your first one is done chillin.

The staggered boil might work for me. I dont want to upgrade to an 8-10 gallon pot yet. I am still in an apt. I plan to upgrade to a 15gal when I buy a house so I can do 10 gal batches and I dont want to spend twice. This way I can just build a 50ft or buy a 50ft and still use it when I get a house and a 15gal pot!

Back