BeerSmith question - Partial vs Full boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoneedsabeer

Reaction score
So I purchased my first extract kit. I was going to brew it today, but due to some unforeseen problems with my BK, I decided to wait until I got my keggle.

Therefore, I decided to download the free trial of beersmith, and see what the differences would be between my partial boil instructions that came with the kit, and my full boil intents.

The kit is from my LHBS, "Brewer's Best", it's the English Pale Ale, states I need to use 2.5gal for the Wort, and 2.5 of additional water.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 34.48 %
3.30 lb Muttons Malt Extract (4.2 SRM) Extract 56.90 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 8.62 %
2.00 oz Argentine Cascade [3.20 %] (60 min) Hops 25.1 IBU
2.00 oz Kent [4.90 %] (20 min) Hops 23.2 IBU
1.00 oz Glacier [6.00 %] (5 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Brewsmith tells me this will yeild a IBU of 53. The targeted is 30-33.

So I simply clicked on the "Bitterness" button in the tool bar, changed the 53 to 33, and it came back with this.

1.25 oz Argentine Cascade [3.20 %] (60 min) Hops 15.6 IBU
1.25 oz Kent [4.90 %] (20 min) Hops 14.5 IBU
0.62 oz Glacier [6.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.9 IBU

It's a little lighter on the hops than I would have expected, which is basically my question. Does this look right?

If it is, this may be the most intuitive software I've ever used!!

Thanks,
Jay

If you double-click the hops in the ingredients box, you can alter the AA % to match what you actually have in your hand. If you have done that, then I would say it is right.
Perhaps the recipe was created when the AA's were lower and they haven't adjusted it since.
Beer Smith is not necessarily the most intuitive but it is very powerful and does everything you need it to. Give it a little time to figure out all of the tools and spend the time to properly set up your equipment and I am sure you will find it as indispensable as I do.

I'm not sure the instructions are right. Does it say it's for a 5 gallon batch? If so, they probably mean you need to have 2.5 gallons of wort after the boil and then you add an additional 2.5 to get a 5 gallon batch. If that's the case, you should be figuring a 3.25 gallon boil. Or somewhere close to that.

That means that with the adjusted amounts you're using, you'll be hitting around 30IBU's. Beersmith is correct, I just figured for more water.

By the way... that kit was my very first beer and it was a great way to get into the hobby. I used it as is, but it still turned out great. I wouldn't mess with the recipe if I were you.

Not meaning to confuse you further but you also have the option of late addition extract which I recommend.

I second making sure your hops AA matches what beer smith says. I often find the defaults do not match what's in my hand.

So I purchased my first extract kit. I was going to brew it today, but due to some unforeseen problems with my BK, I decided to wait until I got my keggle.

Therefore, I decided to download the free trial of beersmith, and see what the differences would be between my partial boil instructions that came with the kit, and my full boil intents.

The kit is from my LHBS, "Brewer's Best", it's the English Pale Ale, states I need to use 2.5gal for the Wort, and 2.5 of additional water.

2.00 oz Argentine Cascade [3.20 %] (60 min) Hops 25.1 IBU
2.00 oz Kent [4.90 %] (20 min) Hops 23.2 IBU
1.00 oz Glacier [6.00 %] (5 min) Hops 4.7 IBU

Brewsmith tells me this will yeild a IBU of 53. The targeted is 30-33.

So I simply clicked on the "Bitterness" button in the tool bar, changed the 53 to 33, and it came back with this.

1.25 oz Argentine Cascade [3.20 %] (60 min) Hops 15.6 IBU
1.25 oz Kent [4.90 %] (20 min) Hops 14.5 IBU
0.62 oz Glacier [6.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.9 IBU

It's a little lighter on the hops than I would have expected, which is basically my question. Does this look right?

If it is, this may be the most intuitive software I've ever used!!

Thanks,
Jay

If you are using a kit, just follow the instructions. The reason the hop additions seem high is due to the fact that the boil is only with 2.5 gallons which does not utilize the hops as well as 5 gallons would.

If you double-click the hops in the ingredients box, you can alter the AA % to match what you actually have in your hand. you will find it as indispensable as I do.

Yup, did that. I put all the ingredients in it that came in my kit. I used none of the pre-filled in stuff. I think the only ingredient that I didn't custom create was the crystal malt grains.

If that's the case, you should be figuring a 3.25 gallon boil. Or somewhere close to that.

By the way... that kit was my very first beer and it was a great way to get into the hobby. I used it as is, but it still turned out great. I wouldn't mess with the recipe if I were you.

That was it. I hadn't set my equipment back to what the recipe called for, which was 2.5 gals. So that's why my numbers were so off. I'm planning to keep the recipe exactly as is...just do it in a 5.72 gal full boil. Close enough:D

Not meaning to confuse you further but you also have the option of late addition extract which I recommend.

I second making sure your hops AA matches what beer smith says. I often find the defaults do not match what's in my hand.

Sorry, what late edition was that? I found that out too.

If you are using a kit, just follow the instructions. The reason the hop additions seem high is due to the fact that the boil is only with 2.5 gallons which does not utilize the hops as well as 5 gallons would.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I appreciate it!

Jay

Late addition means you wait till 15 min left and put the majority of extract in then. Depending of type of extract you can even put it in at flame out.

Late additions allow even greater hop utilization and help Keep extract from carmelizing so you can have lighter paler beer.

I believe the recomendation is 2lbs of extract for boil the rest going in later of your doing late addition that is.

ahhhh! Makes perfect sense.

So how late should I wait to add 2lbs? (if I decide I want to try that)

I know I said I'd stick to the recipe, but this definitely has peaked my curiosity.

Jay

Latest posts

Back