How to Brew by John Palmer - Edition 1 okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wstcstwil

Reaction score
So basically everybody universally says that John Palmers book "How to Brew" is really tremendous. I was ready to invest in a copy when I noticed that he gives away Edition 1 for free on his site, while Edition 3 is $13 at Amazon. After just spending so much on this kit I was hoping to pare back costs a bit.

Does anyone have any feedback on how much better Edition 3 is? I am doing this beer as my first brew at home and want to know if the free instructions online are good enough.

Thoughts?

oh yea the free instructions are just fine. but really $13 bucks. its not that much and you could get a copy of Brewing Classic Styles for another $20 and probably get free shipping. you also have to think about the money your going to save on making your own beer as apposed to buying it for over a $1 a bottle at the store.

I have the book, and I still refer to the online book when I'm on the computer. There aren't many changes, but I like the appendices and nomographs and glossaries in the book. I think the online book is adequate for day to day use, but I'm glad I have the updated book as well.

I bought the paper and ink because I prefer that over online anything. If I had to do it over again or could find a better use of 13 bucks, I'd probably not get the book. But if you find what you see in the online version useful, and could see having a copy to read while away from the computer it isn't that bad.

nothing beats having a dogeared copy at your fingertips...and the wort stains will begin to tell a story

Back