Beginer Needs Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crheine

Reaction score
THis is my first post and time on the site. I bought a kit a couple days ago and have been eager to get started. I activated my yeast and was gettign ready to start my first brew when i realized i didnt have my recipe. I have all the ingredients that i needed but dont know when yo put some of them. The directions i have called to add ingredients at the time on recipe but dont habve it. Im am trying to make an american amner ale and the ingredients i have are...

1 bag of grains....I know when to add that
1 can malt extract 3.3 lbs
1 lb light dried malt extract
Gypsum
1 lb corn sugar
Irish moss
2 seperate bags of hops.

Not sure when to add the other ingrediants after i start the wort. If someone can help i would be so thankful. Very new to this and the guy i bought the stuff from was no help and his website is offline. Need some assistance PLEASE. THank you

I'll take a stab at part of it.

Steep grains 160-180* for 20 minutes
Bring to a boil and add can and dry malt
Stir constantly until it begins boiling again
Add bittering hops and boil 55 minutes
Add finishing hops and boil 5 minutes

I'm just not sure when/how to add the Gypsum and moss Perhaps add Gypsum with the malt and steep the moss with the grains???

This is all an uneducated guess from another beginner though. :p

Just saw this thread on moss https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11579

Have the steeping grains in the pot while the water is coming to a boil and take them out shortly before the boil starts.

Turn off the stove and add the liquid and dry malt extract, stirring constantly. you don't want the liquid extract to reach the bottom of the pot and carmelize.

Bring it back to a boil and add one bag of hops (what kind of hops do you have)

Put in the irish moss 15 minutes before the end of the boil (60 min. boil)

Add the second bag of hops 5 minutes before the end of the boil.

If you don't have water with a high Ph value you wont be needing the gypsum at all.

Back