How old is too old; your age?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedalmedic

Reaction score
Ok, I moved my pale ale to the keged to get cooled and carbed. I had to lift the carboy over a tupperware full of the bottled Java Stout; tweaked my back. I'm 40. Was in the military for about 12 years with a demanding job, in my youth I skateboarded, Surfed not to mention snow sports. Got older did Mountain Bike, Road Bike races with a few wipe outs. I have been a Paramedic working on 15 years now. I do floor jobs on the side (no money as a public servant). So how old is to old. Who is the Clint Eastwood around here.
The women can lie. My wife does all the time. At least I got a trip to Cabo for her 40th. Mine was a Kegerator, Man i'm cheap.

Well, at 50, I am no Clint. I do though try to preserve what physical abilities I have left. I always use proper lifting techniques and ask my wife to help lift where possible. This is one reason that I went to batch sparging as I did not have to lift a 40lb cooler of hot water up to head level for gravity feeding.

Only 35, but definately not as motivated as some guys 15 years older than me. I'm not a type A personality, so I'm not big on extreme anything. Haven't had any major back or knee problems yet, probably because I'm not that active.

Need to exercise and diet now though or I'll be a miserable old man.

29 and two back, one hand and two elbow surgeries already....i'm gonna be super grumpy when I get old! Plus I have some sweet scars!

Got some bike related trauma myself but at 44 I'm pretty motivated to use my skills to make my home pretty. Wintertime is hell on the arthritis. My summertime 'work to failure' point is so much higher than winter. It sucks when the mind is willing but the body is weak. Thank god for prescription drugs. :(

And beer. Of course. :eek:

Im only 24 but I think I am a bit more beat up then most my age. My shoulder hurts at the end of every day just from repetitive stress.
My knees are better now then they used to be thanks to alot of PT when I was 17.
WHen I was 17 I tore 2 ligaments in my knee. Then 6 months later shattered that bone that sticks out on the side of your ankle. The ankle or shoulder will be my downfall when I am older I think.
And I complain alot lol.

I read somewhere that the average male shrinks 1" between his 30th and 70th birthday and then more after that.
Next summer I'll be 50 and I'm 3 1/2" shorter than I was:(. That is 5'11" to 5'8 1/2", so at this rate I'll be able to play a Munchkin if they ever do a remake of "The Wizard of Oz".

All of the discs in my back are herniated or compressed so I lift everything VERY carefully

I will be 33 in a couple of months. I have knee issues, shoulder problems, and some lower back. When I was 19 I was in a vehicle accident and messed up my shoulder. About 9 months later I thought I was a bull rider and found out the hard way I wasn't, messed up my shoulder again.
Since then, I have a much less active lifestyle and went from 180 pounds 10 years ago up to 250.

Although, this year I got my butt off the couch and into the gym. Managed to lose 45 pounds and put on some muscle. I really noticed it during hunting season. Hiking through the mountains every weekend was much easier than years past. The holiday season has not been so good for the diet and exercise regime :eek: and I have packed back on about 10 pounds. But, I have just signed up for a weight loss and excersice challenge at the gym that starts in January. SWMBO is going to do it with me, so we will be getting in shape together :ban:

I will be hitting the 35 milestone here in March. And while I 'try' to take it easy on myself I know I am going to be in a bit of pain when I get a bit older. Ive dislocated both thumbs (several times) left shoulder 3 times, right knee, various toes, and I hyperextended my left knee (and Im sure torn some stuff) back when I was 18. Left foot was broken in basic training and I walked around on it for 5-6 years before anything was done to it. 2 surgeries later its worse off than it was. (I cant bend my big toe forward)

The weather dictates which part of me is going to ache on a given day, but I am still thankful - I would take these injuries 5x over a back injury anyday. My wife has a degenerative disk disease in her back. (Surgery many moons ago) and of course she still has problems. Ive only had the back spasms (like when stretched out on the bed) and I couldnt move.

At least with knee and foot injuries you can still walk (with a cane or walker etc) when its your back... Stand by to stand by...
-Me

Let's see, in my 40 years I have had sports hernia surgery (2007), a discectomy (2004), had a 3-inch screw permanently placed in my left elbow (baseball injury), had screws in each ankle, 62 stitches along my inner thigh (awfully close to the business), four broken fingers and a broken hand.

Right now I'm running around with a torn meniscus that fortunately has given me no problems.

I run every day, play basketball once a week and, of course, play with my kids. Some days I feel 100, some days I feel 20. Every day I'm thankful just to wake up.:D

I'll be 45 in March. I play hockey, kayak, bike, backpack, and am very active and fit. I take no medications, and am in better shape than my 19 year old daughter. I'm probably in better shape than I was 15 years ago, actually.

Still, I have some osteoarthritis, and some aches and pains just like everyone. I'm about 5'5'' and 135 pounds, though, so definitely not overweight. I eat very healthy (NO junk) food and haven't had a doughnut in probably 20 years. It's worth it, just because I feel so good, though.

I'll be 45 in March. I play hockey, kayak, bike, backpack, and am very active and fit. I take no medications, and am in better shape than my 19 year old daughter. I'm probably in better shape than I was 15 years ago, actually.

Still, I have some osteoarthritis, and some aches and pains just like everyone. I'm about 5'5'' and 135 pounds, though, so definitely not overweight. I eat very healthy (NO junk) food and haven't had a doughnut in probably 20 years. It's worth it, just because I feel so good, though.

We got everything except the dimensions :)

49 and paying the price for the abuse of my youth. Minor knee surgery and had both shoulders scoped but (knock on something) no broken bones. Way out of shape now but still cut and split firewood and take care of the home. Did a lot of heavy weight lifting in college and that took its toll on the body.

I'm 26 and have 5 herniated discs that are inoperable. Because of my back I'm beginning to have problems with my hips and knees. My 84 year old grandpa is in better physical shape than I'm in. I used to play every sport growing up and was always into extreme sports like skating, snowboarding, etc. Mentally I still feel young but physically I feel like an old fart.

I turned 39 in October, but still feel like I haven't lost much strength. I'm an avid cyclist, and would have rode 2.5K+ this summer except for an accident. I went over my bars in August. Had to have surgery to repair some torn ligaments that connect my thumb to my hand. I'd have rather broken it. Add that to a broken toe(soccer), and broken tibia/fibula(skiing).
The past few years, I've given up weight training and replaced it with a combination of yoga/pilates. It's made a world of difference in both conditioning, flexibility and attitude.

Back