My IPA II

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
So I opened my 1st bottle of my IPA II today and as I was expecting there really isn't a whole lot of flavor. Here is the recipe:

5 gal batch
8# ultralight malt
2# munich
1# 2-row
1.5# crystal 15L
8 oz carapils
2 oz Magnum 60 min
2 oz Kent Goldings 5 min
2 oz Kent Goldings 1 min
1 tsp gypsum

I didn't dry hop which I right now I wish I did but I don't have any extra hops sitting around so I wasn't able to. I would have thought that 6 oz of hops would have given me a bit more flavor. The brew is also pretty cloudy. I kept it in the primary for 1 week, secondary for 3 weeks, and this is the 10th day in the bottle. Will the hop flavor increase/decrease with age?

hop character (in my experience) decreases with age.

as for why you don't have much hop character.... I can't answer than. There should definately be some hoppiness in that beer.

-walker

i would suggest spread the hops out from the middle on. dog fish head are really on to something with the continuously hopped technique. I usually have additions at 60, 30, 15, 0, dry hop.

Try using plugs for aroma/flavor instead of pellets. i do pellets for bittering, and plug for late addition AND dry hop. Ive noticed my last beer was a cali common, and compared to anchor's version, it lacked hop aroma. And i dry hopped with 2 oz of pellets. From now on im only using plug/whole hops for dry hopping...

Bjorn Borg said:
i would suggest spread the hops out from the middle on. dog fish head are really on to something with the continuously hopped technique. I usually have additions at 60, 30, 15, 0, dry hop.

I add at 60, 30, 25, 20, 15, 10, 5, 0, and dry. :)

Do you guys just divide up the ammount of hops into smaller portions to account for the extra additions or do you add a little more hops to the recipes? I believe I have only used pellets, I guess I just always thought plugs was another word for pellets.

plug = a compressed wad of whole hops.
pellet = ground up and pressed rabbit turds.

Click the "Kaduva IPA" link in my sig for my recipe and hop schedule. Basically, I have 5 oz of hops in the boil, and 4 oz of that is made up of several smallish additions spread out over the last 30 minutes.

HurricaneFloyd said:
Do you guys just divide up the ammount of hops into smaller portions to account for the extra additions or do you add a little more hops to the recipes? I believe I have only used pellets, I guess I just always thought plugs was another word for pellets.

Plugs are alot less processed then pellets. The are almost as good for aroma as whole hops are. As soon as they hit the wort, they break apart into basically whole hops. The advantages are that they are easy to work with, (they come in 1/2 oz. plugs about the diameter of a 50 cent piece), they are easy to store, which keeps em fresh. They only disadvantages are that they ae proceseed somewhat, and people feel that this compromises the integrety of the glands that contain the oils. (there are others who think that breaking these glands is good cuz. it realeses the oils faster)

whole or plugs are the best for flavor/aroma

Yes i spread out the hops by 'halving' them: instead of 1 oz. for 30 min. do 1/2 oz. for 30 and 1/2 oz. for 15....

Bjorn Borg said:
Plugs are alot less processed then pellets. The are almost as good for aroma as whole hops are. As soon as they hit the wort, they break apart into basically whole hops. The advantages are that they are easy to work with, (they come in 1/2 oz. plugs about the diameter of a 50 cent piece), they are easy to store, which keeps em fresh. They only disadvantages are that they ae proceseed somewhat, and people feel that this compromises the integrety of the glands that contain the oils. (there are others who think that breaking these glands is good cuz. it realeses the oils faster)

whole or plugs are the best for flavor/aroma

Yes i spread out the hops by 'halving' them: instead of 1 oz. for 30 min. do 1/2 oz. for 30 and 1/2 oz. for 15....

Why not just use whole hops? I'm totally into whole hops now that I've used them and experienced the difference. I spent about $3.00 on a finely meshed hop bag so the whole hops are easy to remove from the wort.

I might need to put in an order for some more hops soon. The 80/- kit came with pellets, but I think I'm going to replace them with whole hops from freshops.com. I keep them stored in ziplocks in our deep-freeze and they stay nice and fresh.

Cheesefood said:
Why not just use whole hops? I'm totally into whole hops now that I've used them and experienced the difference. I spent about $3.00 on a finely meshed hop bag so the whole hops are easy to remove from the wort.

Do you boil them in the bag? Wouldn't that affect your utilization since the hops aren't banging around as much?

So I sampled this IPA today and it's developed a creamy and almost soapy taste. I compare it to a draft beer after a bar has cleaned the keg lines and there is still a little soap left in the lines. It isn't a strong flavor but you know it's there. Any idea what this is from?

Do you boil them in the bag? Wouldn't that affect your utilization since the hops aren't banging around as much?
I've been using a bag, next batch they are going in without to test out my Hopstopper.. I'll let you know if there is an appreciable difference.

HurricaneFloyd said:
So I sampled this IPA today and it's developed a creamy and almost soapy taste. I compare it to a draft beer after a bar has cleaned the keg lines and there is still a little soap left in the lines. It isn't a strong flavor but you know it's there. Any idea what this is from?

Now that I think of it, this is the first batch I used Star-San to sanitize the carboy and bottles. Would Star-San give it this off flavor?

(did I just quote myself?)

HurricaneFloyd said:
Now that I think of it, this is the first batch I used Star-San to sanitize the carboy and bottles. Would Star-San give it this off flavor?

(did I just quote myself?)
Yes, you did :cross:

I've never gotten a soapy off-taste with star-san and I have huge bubbly mounds of it in my carboy when I rack.

Back