How is this guy alive?!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-Happy

Reaction score
Thought this story was appropriate for this board:

R.I. Police Arrest Man With Record .491 Blood Alcohol Level

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

PROVIDENCE, R.I. — State police say they arrested a man early Tuesday whose blood alcohol level was 0.491 percent — the highest ever recorded in Rhode Island for someone who wasn't dead.

Stanley Kobierowski was taken to a hospital, put in the detoxification unit and sedated, said Maj. Steven O'Donnell. He was arraigned Tuesday on charges of driving while intoxicated and resisting arrest, and he was released after promising to appear Friday at a court hearing.

"The person's lucky they survived," O'Donnell said. "There's no doubt he would have gotten killed or killed someone if he had continued on the route he was taking."

A phone listing for Kobierowski could not be found, and he did not have a lawyer in court Tuesday.

Kobierowski, 34, of North Providence, was arrested after he drove into a highway message board on Interstate 95 in Providence, O'Donnell said.

After police arrived, Kobierowski had trouble getting out of the car, then grabbed it and refused to move, forcing troopers to carry him to the breakdown lane before taking him back to their barracks, O'Donnell said.

A breath test showed blood alcohol readings of 0.489 percent, followed by 0.491, O'Donnell said, the highest readings state officials could remember for someone who didn't end up dead.

The legal limit in Rhode Island is 0.08. A level of 0.30 is classified as stupor, 0.4 is comatose and 0.5 is considered fatal, according to the health department.

His blood was nearly .50% alcohol! Nevermind him driving, how was he blinking!!!

Unbelievable!!

I find it funny that the first three letters of the news title are R.I.P (with the capitals and dots and all)

Still to almost hit the 0.5% blood alcohol level is pretty impressive/scary/crazy/sad...

Somebody out there is very lucky he crashed into that message board...

Sounds like me when I thought it would be a good idea to bong an entire 700ml bottle of 100 proof "YUKON JACK" about 15 years ago.

I don't remember anything after 15 minutes and I was puking my buts out at 6pm the folling day... nearly 22 hours later...

Wow, you have to be a hard core alcoholic to still be able to function in any way at those levels.

How fat was he? I guarantee that dude is a husky gentleman of jabba proportions.

I dont think it matters how fat you are for BAL. We all know that a big guy can *usually* out drink a skinny guy. However, I believe that BAL is irrelevant to size. Either way, that is INSANE! Thats another reason why I want to get a portable breathalyzer. It would just be fun on a bender and it could probably keep me out of the clink!:tank:

I bet he had a good morning after! Or would that be 2 mornings after to get all that out of your system?

I dont think it matters how fat you are for BAL. We all know that a big guy can *usually* out drink a skinny guy. However, I believe that BAL is irrelevant to size. Either way, that is INSANE! Thats another reason why I want to get a portable breathalyzer. It would just be fun on a bender and it could probably keep me out of the clink!:tank:

Bigger and fatter people have more blood in their bodies than a smaller person, so the BAC rises at a slower rate. For example, 10 beers contains X amount of alcohol, and a 300 lb man might have 20% more blood than a 150 lb man, so his BAC is going to be lower with the same amount of consumption.

Of course being able to function at any given BAC level has nothing to do with size. Some people would have better motor skillz @ .30 than others would at .15. Building up a tolerance has a lot to do with your ability to function at higher BAC levels.

Wow, you have to be a hard core alcoholic to still be able to function in any way at those levels.

Yes. After years of being hardcore alcoholics there bodies need alcohol so bad that they actually start making, synthetic alcohol from carbohydrates. My father knows a man that after weeks in detox still blew numbers. He has been sober 7 years and still consistently blows a .02%

WOW....

he kinda reminds me of my old roommate... he wasn't happy unless he was completely on the edge of death... i think these two *****enozzles are cousins.

He probably wasnt even the least bit hung over either, I had a buddy alsot kill himself in high school with alcohol poising but they gave him so many fluids and O2 at the hospital he didnt even have a slight headache the next day.

Sort of reminds me of the old Denis Leary bit about drugs. They are truly evil because the only kill the good people who try them; Jimmy Hendrix dies, but you can throw Motley Crue into a room full of coke and they'll stumble out ready for more.

read about it this morning, what a champ (j/k dont drink and drive)

I dont even want to think about the hang over he has right now, and for about 2 weeks to come.

Bigger and fatter people have more blood in their bodies than a smaller person, so the BAC rises at a slower rate. For example, 10 beers contains X amount of alcohol, and a 300 lb man might have 20% more blood than a 150 lb man, so his BAC is going to be lower with the same amount of consumption.

Of course being able to function at any given BAC level has nothing to do with size. Some people would have better motor skillz @ .30 than others would at .15. Building up a tolerance has a lot to do with your ability to function at higher BAC levels.

Also, muscle will absorb alcohol better than fat. So a 150lb person with a lower body fat percentage will process alcohol better than someone of the same height that weighs 40-50lbs heavier.

Also, muscle will absorb alcohol better than fat. So a 150lb person with a lower body fat percentage will process alcohol better than someone of the same height that weighs 40-50lbs heavier.

I also understand that excessive fat absorbs/stores the alcohol, so while you may not get drunk faster, you stay drunk longer as the alcohol goes through your system slower. Which means I need a few more hours of drinking water.

Back