What are you listening to (music!!!) right now? Embarrassing or not... share

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pandora Radio and the Brian Jonestown Massacre station.

White House Honey Porter is in the works on the stovetop.

Wish me luck!

Steve Vai - The Story of Light

Not bad so far. I'm continually amazed at how I can be so let down by someone who is arguably the most talented guitarist in the world. As much as I really enjoy a lot of his music, there are plenty of songs that just don't "do it for me".

Then I listen to "For the Love of God" on the Passion and Warfare album and it makes up for all of the disappointments. (except the Sex and Religion album. MY GOD was that bad!)

Steve Vai - The Story of Light

Not bad so far. I'm continually amazed at how I can be so let down by someone who is arguably the most talented guitarist in the world. As much as I really enjoy a lot of his music, there are plenty of songs that just don't "do it for me".

Then I listen to "For the Love of God" on the Passion and Warfare album and it makes up for all of the disappointments. (except the Sex and Religion album. MY GOD was that bad!)

I have to agree with you on that, I could never really get into most of his stuff. This, on the other hand, gives me goose bumps every time...

:mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with you on that, I could never really get into most of his stuff. This, on the other hand, gives me goose bumps every time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhQKol7PFzA

:mug:

I feel the same way about DT music. Sometimes it's just AWESOME! and other times I'm just disappointed. Haven't checked them out in a while though. Maybe I should queue them up on spotify. It's not Friday, but f it!

Currently checking out some Ultraviolet Hippopotamus. Grand Rapids band. A girl I have known for years and works at the dance studio my kids go to said yesterday that her brother is in the band.

I feel the same way about DT music. Sometimes it's just AWESOME! and other times I'm just disappointed. Haven't checked them out in a while though. Maybe I should queue them up on spotify. It's not Friday, but f it!

They're last few albums have been lacking but this new one is a very welcome return to stellar form. Listen to that guitar solo in Breaking All Illusions, Petrucci hits a couple of blues licks in there that would make Clapton pee down his leg with a quickness!

I've been listening to a lot of old school thrash lately. I'm listening to Exodus' Fabulous Disaster album now.

Good choice. I've always really enjoyed 'The Great Cold Distance' album, not a song on there I don't like.

For sure, I think that they keep getting better with age, like a fine wine. I've probably said this about every album of their's since Discouraged Ones came out, but their newest record is epic.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaNxGe0Vz3g[/ame]

For sure, I think that they keep getting better with age, like a fine wine. I've probably said this about every album of their's since Discouraged Ones came out, but their newest record is epic.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaNxGe0Vz3g

Ah yes, another band that used to be exceptional but sold out to the "nu" nonsense a long time ago. Not saying that their music now is not without merit, just not metal which makes it pretty much worthless to me, much like Paradise Lost.

Widely considered one of the forefathers of doom/death, not unlike the afore-mentioned Paradise Lost, it's interesting to me that they chose to take the same, pitiful turn with their musical shift on the 1998 release Discouraged Ones. To be honest I haven't listened to them since then except for a track or two from Night Is The New Day last year that left me likewise disgusted.

Nordeast if you think they have redeemed themselves with this new release or have returned to anything close to 1996 form please let me know and I'll give a listen, otherwise I'll keep spinning their good stuff and dreaming of the good old days.

BTW, if the vocals sound familiar here it's because Mikael from Opeth is on the mic...

:tank:

Ah yes, another band that used to be exceptional but sold out to the "nu" nonsense a long time ago. Not saying that their music now is not without merit, just not metal which makes it pretty much worthless to me, much like Paradise Lost.

Widely considered one of the forefathers of doom/death, not unlike the afore-mentioned Paradise Lost, it's interesting to me that they chose to take the same, pitiful turn with their musical shift on the 1998 release Discouraged Ones. To be honest I haven't listened to them since then except for a track or two from Night Is The New Day last year that left me likewise disgusted.

Nordeast if you think they have redeemed themselves with this new release or have returned to anything close to 1996 form please let me know and I'll give a listen, otherwise I'll keep spinning their good stuff and dreaming of the good old days.

BTW, if the vocals sound familiar here it's because Mikael from Opeth is on the mic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYU9kcAaqwk

:tank:

Yeah, I'm not going to try to convince you that the new album would redeem anything for you..... if you haven't liked their music since the DO album, and think that NITND album was bad, you aren't going to change your mind with Dead End Kings. I do have to say that I completely disagree though. Their first few albums were great, don't get me wrong, and Brave Murder Day is one of my favorite records of their's, but only because of Åkerfeldt's vocals.... Let's face it though, Jonas Renske was a horrible drummer and his "metal" vocals left alot to be desired, IMO..... and that of his bandmates, thus his transition from drummer/vocalist to strictly singing. I do agree that they long ago moved away from their early Death/Doom sound, but I think it was a move for the better. Much like Paradise Lost and My Dying Bride, it seems that Katatonia has mellowed with age, they're not nearly as "heavy" in the traditional distorted guitar sense, but their sound and subject matter are as dark and morose as ever.
Honestly, if you want heavy and brutal from Blackheim and Jonas, along with some of Åkerfeldt's best vocal work, check these guys out (disclaimer: Åkerfeldt left Bloodbath this spring due to his issues with his growls):
[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlxjLyEGtaU[/ame]

As for what I'm listening to at the moment..... it's Friday, so a little drinkin' music is in order! Love these guys:

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUwCmOSn_04[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VOLkByDqgE[/ame]

:ban: :tank: :ban:

Yeah, I'm not going to try to convince you that the new album would redeem anything for you..... if you haven't liked their music since the DO album, and think that NITND album was bad, you aren't going to change your mind with Dead End Kings. I do have to say that I completely disagree though. Their first few albums were great, don't get me wrong, and Brave Murder Day is one of my favorite records of their's, but only because of Åkerfeldt's vocals.... Let's face it though, Jonas Renske was a horrible drummer and his "metal" vocals left alot to be desired, IMO..... and that of his bandmates, thus his transition from drummer/vocalist to strictly singing. I do agree that they long ago moved away from their early Death/Doom sound, but I think it was a move for the better. Much like Paradise Lost and My Dying Bride, it seems that Katatonia has mellowed with age, they're not nearly as "heavy" in the traditional distorted guitar sense, but their sound and subject matter are as dark and morose as ever.

Understood, and please understand that it's not necessarily the music they are making nowadays that I think is garbage, it's that type (nu-genre) of music in general. It's NOT metal and it never will be. Obviously they are talented as well as credible or at least they were at one point, the same applies to Paradise Lost and My Dying Bride. I guess the thing that really gets under my skin about these types of bands is they try to portray themselves as metal knowing darn good and well that they sold themselves out of the metal community long ago. I can't really comment on any of their current stuff simply because I can't stand to listen to that style of music, or any genre with "core" in it either. If you'd like to discuss this further we can on the metal thread, love Bloodbath btw.

Back on topic...

Never ever get between a father and his kids. Even if you are a scary monster.

a Tiesto trance mix while i get some reading done

Back