Man-cave bar build w/ pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew2enjoy

Reaction score
Well, I finally got started on my bar last weekend. This room is perfect for a man cave because it is located on the back of our garage, separated from the house. My plan is to keep it simple, maybe sort of an Irish pub look but with a little sports theme thrown in. Here are a few pics after the drywall was up and the bar wall was done. As you can see, lots of work left. I will update this thread as I make progress.

Laying the track. We used 18 ga metal to frame the wall. (hey, it was free, why not!).
IMG_20111120_111403.jpg

Here is the low wall finished with the kegorater in place. The wall needs to be sanded and will be ready for paint. Not sure what Im gonna do for the top or the floor yet...This thing is bomb-proof, solid as a rock. As you can see, we also built a platform for the kegorater to raise it up to the correct height. You can also see the natural gas line coming in behind the bar. This was there when we bought the house this summer. I plan on getting a wall mounted "fireplace style" heater.
IMG_20111120_165520.jpg

IMG_20111120_165617.jpg

More to come...

nice!

sawdust for the floor is my speed, but you can do what you want ;)

Could I sugest using the natural gas for a built in brew rig :)

Could I suggest using the natural gas for a built in brew rig
Nice idea.:D Anyway, pertaining to man cave, males need a sanctuary, from rooms festooned with doilies, stuff from Bed, Bath and Beyond, and to rest his weary bones upon sofas and chairs chosen solely for their comfort without regard to décor, fengs that have been shuied or anything else. This area is the man cave, which more people are putting in their homes and it's not a bad move for the homes' value either. To read more, check here: Putting in a man cave will not necessarily hurt home value.

Sorry guys, I have been hard at work on the room. I will get some updated pictures up soon. The walls are finished and painted. Decided to go with Philadelphia Eagles green with some grey accents. Haven't decided on what I'm going to do for the floor or the bar top yet. I just got my new 2-tap tower that will get mounted on the bar top once finished. I am pushing to have the room mostly completed in about a month.

You can find prefinished hardwood pretty cheap that you can float on the concrete.
Nice dark woods on the floor , trim and bar top would give that pub look. A few
lamps here and there and dark leather furniture. Keep it masculine.

Update:

Got most of the bar top done this weekend. Ended up finding a good deal on some real Brazilian Cherry hardwood flooring and decided to give it a shot for the bar top. It looks amazing. We will be building the foot railing out of the same flooring. The kegorator is pulled out from underneath the bar in the picture. Once I get my new tower installed it will be recessed underneath. I plan to coat the bar top with epoxy in a few weeks. Floor should be in next weekend. Then Trim will be installed and it should be close to completion. Has anyone ever done a bar top using flooring? I saw a few video's on youtube where it had been done. I'm just wondering how the epoxy is going to work out.

Here's a few crappy cell phone pic's. More to come shortly.

IMG_20120407_184516.jpg

IMG_20120407_205059.jpg

Loving the countertop. What did you use for the edge? How many coats of varnish are on it at this stage?

My best friend and her husband did their kitchen countertop with flooring. I think they just stained and sealed it. Not 100% sure, though. If you have the DIY channel OnDemand, they are on the show Renovation Realities. The Ratliff house. It'll show what they did.

It's holding up well, so far...

For the edge I used the matching nosing for the hardwood flooring (you can see it in the 2nd pic). As for varnish, it's got some type of poly clear coat over the wood. I will need to lightly sand it before I lay down the epoxy resin.

Fantastic,
Gives me some great ideas for the redo on my basement that is part office, part man cave and will be part brewing pub.....

Nice! I like the simplicity. Definitly a way I would like to do mine. Can you get more pictures of the kegerator and how you built it in?

that flooring/top came out pretty bad-ass.

I thought about doing the front & sides of my Keezer surround in some flooring strips horizontally then add 3 vertical trim pieces 1 centered, 2 at each corner.

I might have to pursue the idea now!

Back