Any Hangover M.D.'s ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibfried

Reaction score
I've got hangover head :(

We must have a good hangover cure out there. The worst ones I get are with store-bought brew. I never get cheap stuff anymore. Last night I picked up some "WARSTEINER DUNKEL" - this is the best store-bought stuff I've had. Drank 4 - 12oz. Huge headache the next morning - an all day thing at that.

Give me your best hangover advice and I'll be a happy man! :p

What are your secrets?

Glass of water and an Excedrine before going to bed. Big glasses of water are clutch-cargo before bed on a night of heavy drinking. And Excedrine seems to be designed for hangovers, as is Alka-Seltzer cold therapy.

Alcohol dehydrates your body big time, thats what causes all the problems. Its best to avoid tylenol products they don't play nice with booze, I usually eat something and drink lots of water before going to bed. Morning time I do alka-seltzer plus cold and some gatorade that'll fix ya up pretty good.

I didn't know about the cold version but back in my heavy drinking days, I used to drink a full pint of water and take an origonal alkaselzer before going to bed. In the morning, I'd just roll over and if my head was spinning, I'd ask my wife to get up and fix me an alkaselzer. She'd bring it to me, I'd drink it down and crash back into my pillow for another 30 minutes of sleep to give it time to kick in.

Usually thirty minutes later I was on my feet and eating breakfast and getting on with my day. No more problem.

Of course, there's the hair of the dog thing but that's a slippery slope. I've recovered once or twice that way but you've got to choke it down.

After a bender, a good dose of viatmin B before bed will do wonders, as will water. Usually I will take an Aleve as well. It doesn't damage your liver like Ibuprophen or Acetominaphen (sp?) can.

Gatorade b4 bed is the way to go. I haven't found anything that makes me feel better the next day other than avoiding the problem altogether.

In college, I'd drink a quart of Tang and go back to bed for a two hours. Hydration seems to be the key. Getting old helps, you can't drink as much in the first place, you fall asleep!

is this what I have to look forward to?! I knew hitting the 30's was going to make something go wrong, but I thought it would be my knees or back, not Pub Stamina.

-walker

water before bed, gatorade in the morning, and then just suck it up. If you want to fly with the eagles, you gotta be able to crawl with the dogs.....

I do find that I am slowing down, though, since cracking the cold side of 30...takes longer to recover from less frivolity.

Ok, here's what you do. You open your eyes only to find that they actually hurt, and blinking them causes a noise reminiscent of a Slayer concert. As soon as you are able, throw off the covers (assuming you actually woke up in bed) and stagger (or crawl) to the kitchen and fill the biggest glass you have with tepid water. A quart would be best. Take a deep breath and chug the water without stopping until it's gone. Now, stand up straight and run in place at a full sprint for 1 minute. Once the vomiting ceases, you won't feel any better, in fact, you may be looking for the closest Seppuku sword to end your misery. The key here is to remember this horrible feeling, sear it into your memory and re-live the memory right before that first pint the following weekend. Best hangover preventative ever.

Sam75 said:
Usually I will take an Aleve as well. It doesn't damage your liver like Ibuprophen or Acetominaphen (sp?) can.

And drinking in the first doesnt? :D

we need a Liver Bank. Take half of your liver out now and freeze it. Then, if you ever need a transplant, they can put the other half back in.

Good lord... I think I finally came up with an idea I could start a company on!

-walker

Walker said:
we need a Liver Bank. Take half of your liver out now and freeze it. Then, if you ever need a transplant, they can put the other half back in.

Good lord... I think I finally came up with an idea I could start a company on!

-walker

But will your bank be open on weekends and Public Holidays? That's usually when i'd feel the need to rely on my 'savings'! :drunk:

I usually take a PM type pain reliever when I go to bed, and never wake up with a hang over...that happens when I dont take them :drunk:

Caplan said:
And drinking in the first doesnt? :D

You're right. No reason to pile more damage on top, though. I've also heard (or read?) that drinking and using them together actually multiplies the effects.

You'll note that both drugs have alcohol warnings on them. Aleve does, too, but it because of stomach bleeding, not liver damage. So, we picks our poison! :)

I dunno, I dont get hangovers unless I really, really overdo it. Maybe I'm not a lightweight like I thought :confused:.

I find there are a few ways for me to prevent a hangover. One is to have about 6-8oz of water for every 12oz of beer. The other is if I hurl before I pass out, thats the signal to drink as much water as I can or passing out will result in awakening in a state of suspended death. Like I said, thats if I go too far, which rearely happens.

No amount of medication helps me. I tried the "hair of the dog" method and it made the headache worse.

Brew Runner said:
I dunno, I dont get hangovers unless I really, really overdo it. Maybe I'm not a lightweight like I thought :confused:.
QUOTE]

Yes, that's the only time the rest of us get hang overs too. Just some of us go there more often than others. :drunk:

I find a good swig in the morning of pickle or olive juice helps. I guess due to the salts in the mixture. A few years ago, they were claiming a team played in Dallas beat the cowboys ebcause they drank pickle juice before the game.

BlightyBrewer said:
I've found that as I have got older, alcohol prevents me from sleeping.

I get this . . . I have no problem falling asleep, but when it's time to wake up 3 hours later to take a piss, I can't get back to sleep and it's not pleasant.

rhinostylee said:
I get this . . . I have no problem falling asleep, but when it's time to wake up 3 hours later to take a piss, I can't get back to sleep and it's not pleasant.

I get this strange sensation in my legs, like they just won't relax, and sleep becomes impossible. Maybe I should just keep drinking more instead of going to bed... :drunk:

BlightyBrewer said:
I get this strange sensation in my legs, like they just won't relax, and sleep becomes impossible. Maybe I should just keep drinking more instead of going to bed... :drunk:

Me too! Do you find yourself uncontrolably wanting to flex the muscles in your legs to make it go away, but it never works?

-walker

Walker said:
Me too! Do you find yourself uncontrolably wanting to flex the muscles in your legs to make it go away, but it never works?

-walker

Yeah!! It drives me crazy! I've tried getting out of bed and stretching like I'm about to go for a 10 mile run, but it doesn't help.

I've been told that Quinine (tonic water) is supposed to help the muscles relax in this situation...haven't tried it yet.

I realize this is a condition, but I can't help but envisioning one's legs from getting up and walking around while dragging the "victim" (currently deep in sleep) about the room.

Hangover cure that works for me--every time (provided I'm smart enough to do it):

1. Ibuprofen.
2. Glass of orange juice.
3. Glass of water.
4. Sleep.

Good to go the next day!

ding ding ding, we have winner. The best answer yet.

My personal favorate is after a friday night of drinking the saturday mourning lake front brewery tour is best.

Back