Calling all PORTER lovers...what are your favorite 3?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motobrewer

I'm no atheist scientist, but...
Reaction score
I'm sick of IPA's having all the fun! What are your top porters?

Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald
Sierra Nevada Porter
Bell's Porter

I kept my list to "regular" porters, feel free to add baltics + imperials. Gonzo Porter is one of my favorite beers of all time.

Rogue Mocha Porter (When I make a porter, this is what I make)
Pelican's Doryman's Dark (although they call it a Brown)
Golden Valley's Muddy Flats

Breckenridge Vanilla Porter
and
Hopefully the one I have fermenting right now!!

Anchor Porter.
McMenamin's Black Rabbit.
Keg Licker

Screen_shot_2009-12-24_at_3_01_30_AM.png

Full Sail used to make a porter seasonally. They haven't released it in several years (or I just haven't been able to find it.) Best beer I ever had. I'll clone it some day.

i need to try Founders. Anchor is a good one as well, but I like Sierra Nevada a bit more.

Bell's got lucky in that a local restaurant had it in bottles, and I decided to give it another shot. I bought a 6-er about 2 months ago, and wasn't terribly impressed. Had it again a week ago at said restaurant, and it was fantastic.

A local brewpub put their porter on cask recently (it's very good regardless), and it was awesome. A few micros here in WI make excellent porters as well (Sand Creek Badger Porter, and Central Waters Mudpuppy Porter)

If you're ever in the area of New England, Mayflower Porter hands down. Then Smuttynose Robust Porter. It's really hard to pick a third. But I think Mayflower Porter scored an A on BeerAdvocate.

Sean From NH

Żywiec Porter. Nothing else comes close.

Made by heinekin. I use to like this and it's always a great choice when you don't want to spend money and wanted to get wasted off something decent.

Also, I guess I should list Black Boss in my top. Its in the same tier with Zywiec, just more molasses taste and only costs 1.99 a 550ml in Wisconsin.

If you're ever in the area of New England, Mayflower Porter hands down. Then Smuttynose Robust Porter. It's really hard to pick a third. But I think Mayflower Porter scored an A on BeerAdvocate.

Sean From NH

Yes, Mayflower is an EXCELLENT Porter
I have liked Anchor Porter for over 15 years now.
Fullers off the beer engine :rockin:

Pipeline Porter
Black Butte Porter
Pipeline Porter

I know, I listed it twice, its that good. Especially when I drop a shot of spiced rum in it. It is the best beer I think I have ever had then. Will be incorporating rum into my next HB porter/stout. If you have not tried the shot in it, you gotts to.

Had a Thirsty Dog Old Leg Humper last night. Very, very tasty!

Fuller's London Porter is one of the best beers ever.
Deschutes Black Butte Porter is solid.
Breckenridge Vanilla Porter is interesting.

Hopefully, my home-brewed porter will do 'em justice.

Also ran: Michelob's Porter. Right taste, if not right mouthfeel. Good price. Please don't hate me for liking it!

michelob porter???

strange and interesting. i'm not gonna lie, i didn't dislike their amber bock....

In my book Fullers has to be #1 because England invented the porter.

If you guys never tried the ones below you better get thee to a beer distributor. I don't see them listed in this thread.

Ølfabrikken Porter (Denmark)
Nogne Porter (Norway)

Anchor Porter
Sam Adams Holiday Porter
Smuttynose Robust Porter
Mayflower Porter
Fullers London Porter
Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter
Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter
Long Trail Imperial Porter
Berkshire Drayman's Porter
Berkshire Coffeehouse Porter
Moat Mountain Vanilla Porter on beer engine

Edit: Just realized it was supposed to be your top 3 porters... Though I really like all the porters I listed I guess I'm going to go with SA Holiday Porter, Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter.. Oh who am I kidding, I can't pick just three!

Bell's Porter
Edmund Fitzgerald
Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter

Another porter that was pretty good:
Flag 1825 Porter

Back