Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magoo

Reaction score
Just transfered an apricot blonde from the primary to the secondary. I tried a little taste and it was very clovey. I used one vial of wlp029 and assumed it was to be a very crisp taste..not clovey. Am I right or wrong.

Thoughts...

Just transfered an apricot blonde from the primary to the secondary. I tried a little taste and it was very clovey. I used one vial of wlp029 and assumed it was to be a very crisp taste..not clovey. Am I right or wrong.

Thoughts...

It shouldn't be clovey, as you know! It should be clean, and crisp. Is it possible that you're tasting a bit of residual sulfur, and not really cloves?

I wonder if the yeast was stressed. Did you make a starter? What was the fermentation temperature, and the OG of the wort?

I did not make a starter and pitched the yeast around 70.
I am brewing a Kolsh right now and I was going to pitch it on the yeast cake. Good Idea?

If the fermenting wort got about 70, that could explain some off-flavors.

You could use the yeast again, but I'd pitch at fermentation temperatures. Or, even a bit below. If you pitch at 58 degrees, and let it warm up to 60 or so, you'd probably get better results. (Of course, I'm talking about wort temperature, not ambient temperature). That yeast strain is really good at under 65 degrees.

Another thought I just had was about water chemistry. If you have chlorine or, worse, chloramines in your water supply, light colored beers can have some phenols in the taste. Usually not exactly clovey, but that could be a description. More like band-aidy, in my opinion.

I'll try to pitch it under sixty and let the temp rise.
Also I used bottled spring water for the boil.

Do you think those flavors will fade or it that batch for my mooching buddies.

Matt

Back