I need your opinions (yeast storage)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hound_Dog

Reaction score
Well I was gearing up to brew a honey wheat today. I went to the fridge and grabbed my yeast. I sanitized the package and my scissors, and went to cut open the packet. That's when I realized it was my package of Notty and not the Munich yeast I needed. The problem is that I made about a 1mm incision into the packet. I immediately sanitized a mason jar and lid and put the yeast in the jar. Should I just throw it out or should it be ok?

Once the package is opened, the oxygen gets to the yeast cells and it's not good for very long. Maybe a week or so would be ok. I can't remember all of the science behind it, but it has to do with the package being sealed in an oxygen-less environment and when oxygen does get in through opening the package, it changes the environment of the dehydrated yeast. I think it was David_42 who explained it to me, but I'm really not sure.

I wouldn't worry about it personally, but if you want to be safe, make a starter. It's not optimal for dry yeast, but that will give the yeast something to do and you one less thing to worry about. :)

Well for future users with similar questions I have found a good answer. I found this on the danstar website "Nottingham will rapidly lose activity after exposure to air. Do not use 500 g or 10 kg packs that have lost vacuum. Opened packs must be re-closed, stored in dry conditions below 4°C, and used within 3 days; 11 g sachets are not vacuum packed but are flushed with nitrogen gas to protect the yeast"

Latest posts

Back