Leinenkugel Summer Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hukdizzle

Reaction score
Is this not the worst beer ever produced? This had an almost fake blueberry taste to it with an absolutely terrible malt taste. I must say I have had some terrible beer in my life but this takes the number one spot on my all time worst brew, this beer is atrocious. I have never been one to pour out beer but this one was poured out after two sips.

I've had it on tap before. Can't say it was the worse brew I've had...but....when the waitress asked if I'd like another....I declined and got something else and I've never ordered it again.

Very true, many may not take this serious but I am dead serious about it. That beer is terrible on so many levels.

If this is the summer shandy then yes it is awful. My neighbor brought some over hoping I would help him drink it. I tried a few sips and it was just as bad as I remember it being.

Linc

I remember a few years ago when Leinenkugel just started distributing in Ohio and they were practically giving this stuff away. So many of my friends jumped on this stuff and loved it and whenever I see them they always have a sixer of this or some other Leinie Atrocity.

I absolutely despise it...

I don't care for it, but SWMBO likes it. She also likes their berryweisse (sp?)--that to me is undrinkable. But, to each his own. There are those of us here who won't drink hefe's or IPAs--its all a matter of taste.

If this is the summer shandy then yes it is awful. My neighbor brought some over hoping I would help him drink it. I tried a few sips and it was just as bad as I remember it being.

No. Believe it or not, they have several beers that bad. Summertime wheat is fruity pebbles, and the shandy is the sugary nasty cousin of the great drink by the same name.

I hate the macro "craft" brews so much because people drink them and then think that is what that style of beer is.

I like wheat beers with a lot of honey because I like honey Weiss. That's not even a wheat beer idiot! It is there regular lager with artificial flavoring.

I hate them sooooo much. :drunk:

Linc

I had a few of my coworkers over last summer so I brought a bunch of different beers for us to try and that was one of them. They all seemed to like it and asked where I got it. I tried one and I don't recall it being that bad, not something I would regularly drink though.

I think I am going to have to try it again to see how I remember it tasting.

Did Leinenkugal ever get good? I remember drinking them as a youngster (back in the early 80's) because they were cheap. They tasted like crap back then and I have been afraid to try them almost 30 years later...

Ever since the "acquisition" their decisions have been as bad as their beers. One of the two decent enough beers to give a second thought to they discontinued a couple years ago because of poor demand - Backwoods. With that gone, other than the Creamy Dark, i won't touch the stuff.

Even the facility tour has gotten pretty lame over the past couple years. Before, you were walking around in these old buildings, feeling the history and tradition, and now things seem corporate-ized. Even the tour guides used to know so much about everything brewing & Leinies, but not even close, now.

Consistently downhill.

I will 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 25th that Leinie's is crappy (and I too would pass on all but the Creamy Dark, and then only if that was my only option)......My wife started calling me a beer-snob when I declared that Leinies was not a real micro-brew, and that I didn't really like their beer. This thread makes me feel better, like it's not just me. There'r much better breweries in WI. My two favorites as of late: New Glarus and Central Waters.
what's your favorite WI brewery?

Sunset Wheat is a great tasting shower beer, I honestly don't understand how people can't love this beer. Its so refreshing. I mow the lawn with these beers in hand. Speaking of which, I need a beer holder on my lawnmower this year.

Summer Shandy on the other hand is a beer that tastes like someone threw a can of mountain dew's AMPD in it. While its not awful, its not on my top 20 list of beers.

I like sunset wheat. It's not terrible. It is definitely a fruit beer though, which is not well advertised.

My hatred of Leini's runs so deep it blinds me with rage.

1- There is no fruit in any of there beers. The are chemically engineered beers that are produced by BMC for BMC crowd to feel cool.

2- The lienekugel brothers are dicks and nobody likes them because they are mean and pompous.

3- Central Waters makes the best oak aged beers in the world. Seriously. And yes, I do realize that is a crazy claim.

New Glarus always makes awesome stuff and Lake Fronts new direction is really exciting.

My hatred of Leini's runs so deep it blinds me with rage.

1- There is no fruit in any of there beers. The are chemically engineered beers that are produced by BMC for BMC crowd to feel cool.

2- The lienekugel brothers are dicks and nobody likes them because they are mean and pompous.

3- Central Waters makes the best oak aged beers in the world. Seriously. And yes, I do realize that is a crazy claim.

New Glarus always makes awesome stuff and Lake Fronts new direction is really exciting.

I shelled out the $15 for a 6er of Central Waters' Bourbon Barrel Stout..... that WAS an amazing beer, and I saved three of them for aging 'til next winter (and beyond). Pretty sure it's just their Satin Solstice RIS with the Bourbon Barrel aspect thrown in, but that's such a good beer to begin with......

My wife works for the state here in Madison, and I guess Jacob just became some big wig Secretary of something here, in the wake of the former secretary getting busted for misappropiration of funds, etc. Seems fitting.

I remember getting the Summer Wheat when it first came out. I literally did a spit-take because i was not expecting blueberry at ALL, after reading everything on the bottle & sixer packaging and seeing nothing about it.

I don't have the hatred a lot of you guys do for them - it just stops at "They make sh!tty beer." I guess when it comes down to it, though, it's still better than BMC when it's a matter of what i'm relegated to picking from a limited selection.

tried their 1888 bock in a build your own 6 pack deal at my local liquor store, i didn't know bock beers were supposed to taste like a stout hah. it wasn't an enjoyable beer, but i did get to try acme's "california" ipa. it was quite tastey. i want more....

I don't mind sunset wheat, but then again I like fruity pebbles. I wonder what it would taste like if you poured it over fruity pebbles.

Haha I clicked on this thread as I am drinking 1888 Bock from Lenies....Never had any beer from them, its not bad, but not great either, got it at the beer store for 13 bucks a case LOL it looked fancy...I was wrong.

Has always reminded me of blueberry pancakes, the kind with the dehydrated blueberries that we took camping when I was a kid.

tried their 1888 bock in a build your own 6 pack deal at my local liquor store, i didn't know bock beers were supposed to taste like a stout hah.

I just bought a 6er of this last week as it was the first time I saw it at Kroger. We have pretty limited selection locally so I grab what ever I haven't seen before. I don't think it's tastes like a stout at all. Apparently you are drinking some pretty weak stouts. The 1888 tastes like a watered down bock to me. I didn't get a noticeable Malt Profile until it was around Room Temperature.

Thread resurrection... Leinenkugel is brewed by Coors. Saw it with my own eyes at the tour of the Golden, CO brewery. So are Killian's and Blue Moon for that matter, right along side Keystone Light. They all are all awful.

yay for ressurecting it! I love bashing

Thread resurrection... Leinenkugel is brewed by Coors. Saw it with my own eyes at the tour of the Golden, CO brewery. So are Killian's and Blue Moon for that matter, right along side Keystone Light. They all are all awful.

no surprise there.

On the side note I posted a few beer glasses for sale a few days ago @ Classifieds and had 2 Leinenkugel Summer Wheat glasses. Emailed a few people off the forum and my manager both these and 2 others ;) I guess I will have to make fun of him on Monday.

Oh, you mean the Mr. Clean from Wiskahnsen? I have no idea what those guys were thinking when they sat around and decided that the summer wheat was worth selling.

leinies has a shared recipe that is brewed by a crap ton of brewers around the US.. it's called something different wherever you go and isn't distributed by leinies. leinies is owned by miller, not coors, too.

as far as i know, actual leinies is only brewed in two places: chippewa falls and milwaukee. the milwaukee leinies is horrible because of the water in the city. all of it. chippewa's brews are from big eddy spring water.

sunset wheat is garbage. shandy is better. bock and creamy dark aren't anything special, they dont taste much different than original.

honey weiss does have real honey in it. it comes in 50 lb buckets from central wisconsin. all the other fruity flavors in their other beers is artificial.

just went to the leinies reunion on saturday. free brats and beer for all. 2 dollar pint glasses too! woo hoo!

Last year, prior to getting started in home brewing, I drank a ton of it and really enjoyed it. I may have to buy a 6 pack tonight and see if it tastes any different now.

So the thing with Leinie's is that most of the beers are definitely aimed at mass BMC-market consumption. Here in Boston, we only get the fruity, sweet, damn-near-Smirnoff-Ice-ish beers - summer shandy, sunset wheat, honeyweiss, berry weiss. The thing is, they can brew a damn good beer when they want to, as shown by their Big Eddy series. Check the ratings on beer advocate. I hate to think of the brewers there who obviously know what they're doing having to brew fruity-pebbles-but-alcoholic. Let them run a little wild!

Back