This winter has sucked for my brewing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Reaction score
Gotta say, for the past two years when my brew season is on (usually September - April or early May) I was brewing nearly every weekend. Always had at least two fermenters going at a time (I have 3). But this season with the weather lately I haven't been able to brew for 3 weeks now and it seems I won't be able to this weekend either. I boil outside on a propane burner so if it rains/snows or is really windy I just can't brew.

Well, we've had rain and snow but the big downer is the crazy wind here lately. Seems so many weekend days are 20+mph winds with many of these days at 35mph with gusts up to 50 or higher. It's been crazy. So this weekend it's looking like rain and then wind again. Man, good thing for the two batches I have waiting I went with dry yeast this time!! :) At least I don't have to worry about the yeast viability.

So, anyone else's brewing been impacted more than usual this winter?

Rev.

The cold & wind has kept the house a lil chilly. But the WL029 yeast I'm using atm loves it. I'm able to keep temps within the narrow range of the yeast. Works for me,especially since I brew on the stove with aftermarket burners.

The beer I'm bottling this weekend was trap in a powerless house for close to a week. I was in a panic the whole time. After NEMO my place was in the low 30s but I don't think my beer froze (hopefully).

You could always do a PM on the stove, hey, it's still brewing, and you'll stay warm......

Not an option unfortunately. My wife and I live on the first floor of her parents house with them above us. The mother in law b*tches like crazy about the smell of brewing in the house :rolleyes: I mash indoors but then have to boil outside.

Rev.

My setup is a rain or shine kind of deal.

I brew on my covered rear deck outside with propane. I have brewed in 40 mph gusts by using a bunch of roofing flashing wrapped around my burner stand and kettle as well as using my deck furniture to support some larger piece of roofing tin as wind breaks...my kettle is perfectly wind free even in a storm!

Have a roof overhead is key though...

I have over 50 gallons of beer bottled or in fermenters right now.

I haven't brewed since Hurricane Sandy in October. Just haven't had time. Imagine building a gorgeous single tier system and then not using it... sucks.

Back