keeping a stock of bulk grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sorefingers23

Reaction score
i finally got a grain mill and would like to keep a decent stock of grains. id like to know what most people have started with, im gonna buy a bag of 2 row, and was thinking to geta bag of marris otter as well, and then maybe buy abouut 5 -10 pounds each of a few specialty grains, and slowly build my stock from there.

Base malts have a shorter shelf life (6 months I think) while specialty malts, if kept well will keep for a long time. I keep pale malt, pilsner, and either Munich or Vienna as base malts. It depends on your brewing style.

I keep at least 50# of pilsner and pale malt (or marris otter if I'm on that kick).

Then, 15 of light wheat, light munich, and rye (rye IPA!).

Then 6 of everything else.

grain_closet_1-39406.jpg

According to the guys on basicbrewing.com, who got the info from a guy at Briess, base malt will last for up to a year - 18 months tops if well stored and specialty grains are really stable, and will keep pretty much indefinitely, again if well stored. I keep my base malt in large pet food containers, and all the others in zip-lock bags stored in a Rubbermaid container.

I keep at least 50# of pilsner and pale malt (or marris otter if I'm on that kick).

grain_closet_1-39406.jpg

That's just way too organized - there has to be something wrong with you!!!

....... Nice set up!

grain_closet_1-39406.jpg

I'm totally digging your setup, mate. Can you tell us a bit more about those containers? Rubbermaid?

That's just way too organized - there has to be something wrong with you!!!

Ah, you got me. I'm an ax murderer.

I'm totally digging your setup, mate. Can you tell us a bit more about those containers? Rubbermaid?

Sterilite. Target. 66qt, 15qt, and 6qt sizes (from memory, something like that). They are not completely air tight, but I've been doing it like this for years. That's an old pic, there are more shelves above there :)

Note: 1# of unmilled barley = a little less than 1 quart volume.

=) Thanks so much for the info, PP. I really like the look of your organized storage and may have to copy it in the near future. Also, thanks for the info about the malt storage time.

Back