too fast of fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hendenburg2

Reaction score
I pitched a wyeast 1728 Scottish ale Thursday night, and it seems like fermentation has already stopped... no change is displacement of the water in the bubbler. yeast activity did blow the water out of the lock yesterday, but even still, less than three days seems way too short...

its not done yet. don't do anything with it for at least a week if you plan on secondary or 2 weeks if you are only doing primary.

You won't know until you take gravity readings with a hydrometer. Test your beer, and if the gravity stops falling/remains consistent for 2-3 days, it's done. There's nothing wrong with letting the beer sit for 2-3 weeks in the primary on your yeast cake. I like doing that with almost all of my beers as the yeasts will continue to clean up any fusel alcohols and diacetyl that might have been created by a fast ferment.

My Scotch wee heavy sits for two weeks in my primary before i'll touch it. Then, I open it up and toss in about an ounce of single malt scotch infused oak chips and let those stew in it another week before i'm ready to rack to the bottling bucket.

hendenburg2 said:
I pitched a wyeast 1728 Scottish ale Thursday night, and it seems like fermentation has already stopped... no change is displacement of the water in the bubbler. yeast activity did blow the water out of the lock yesterday, but even still, less than three days seems way too short...

The bubbler is not an indication of yeast activity. The only way to check whether the yeast is finished is by taking an FG reading ( usually three readings at different points in time).
Relax, leaving it in the primary for three weeks is a good habit to get.
Slainte

I've had really active (and a bit too warm) fermentations ferment out overnight, but almost all of the lower OG beers finish active fermentation by about day 3. After that, the yeast slowly finish up and clean up any diacetyl and other waste products, and then start to flocculate. It sounds right on track.

Back