Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugBeer12

Reaction score
Hello all,

We brewed our second batch of beer this afternoon, an IPA from a True Brew kit. We visited a local brewery and bought fresh yeast (a California Ale strain) as well as Citra hops to use for dry hopping. The bag is 1 oz, and we are unsure if we should use the whole bag or just a half oz. Online research and the Home Brew book we purchased are contradictory. Does it come down to personal preference, or is the 1 oz. bag a good amount for a 5 gallon batch?
Thanks!

A good starting point is 1oz in 5 gallons of finished beer (for dry hopping). Once the beer is finished fermenting, and otherwise ready, add the dry hops to it. I also advise the hop bag for this, since it will contain the hops and make transfers easier.

I use 1oz of whole hops in a 3 gallon corny keg when dry hopping. I get what I want from that amount/ratio. I also add the hops to the keg right before the keg goes into the brew fridge to chill and carbonate (2 week slow carbonation method). This produces wonderful hop aroma/flavor in my glass for the entire keg. No need to remove the hops (at all) until you're cleaning out the kicked keg. :rockin: I'm not the only one that dry hops this way.

Anyone know of a better bag ? I would think something like a hop ball but long and round for carboy use ?

Back