Slow fermentaion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenhaze

Reaction score
Hi all
Brewed a honey weizen yesterday pitched yeast Wyeast 3068 at a slightly high 78. Was very hot here yesterday
Put primary in swamp cooler could not get temp below 74 yesterday. After loading up with frozen water bottles was glad to see temp of 64 this morning. Question will the temp swing has shocked the yeast to go dormant ?
It's an SG OF 1.054 so it maybe under pitched. Used only one smack pack. I do have a pack of moutons dry yeast which I could hydrate and pitch today. Right now there is activity in the blow off tube to container (gurgling)
Sorry for the ramble !
Slainte

You should always make a starter for liquid yeast regardless what the package says and what your gravity is. If there is activity in the blowoff tube the yeast is working and nothing to worry about.

Question will the temp swing has shocked the yeast to go dormant ?

As I understand it, yeast only goes dormant when it gets cold. If it gets too hot, it just dies. It depends on the yeast, but I think most would have to see the far side of 80 before you need to worry too much about that. I'd be more worried about off flavors from higher temps, but it sounds like you got them back down, so hopefully it won't be an issue.

Back