All Columbus IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballstorm

Reaction score
I recently had the Hangar 24 all Columbus IPA and it was awesome. I loved it. I've poked around here looking for an all columbus IPA recipe and have come up lacking. Has anyone out there brewed a solid all columbus and be willing to share the recipe? Thanks!

Just be careful with your late additions. I made a warrior/columbus IPA recently and it has an aftertaste of garlic/onion to me. I may just have an extra sensitivity to it, as most people I have had taste it don't taste it and tell me it is a good beer. I, however don't really like that in my beer. For reference, I used 3 oz of columbus in the last 15 mins of my boil, as well as another oz in the dryhop.

I like CTZ and have made a few all CTZ brews. As stated above, w/ large late additions it can pack a wallop, if not garlic / onion, a heavy hop taste that remains with your pallet for a while. Haha...like one of those IPA's that you can still taste the morning after.

Just my 2 cents...

I have recently developed a relatively unhealthy love affair of an IPA featuring Columbus for bittering and Amarillo for flavor and aroma.

Skinny Cow IPA has somebody who loves her.

Columbus is the heart of our IPA recipe, derived from MoreBeer's Columbus IPA recipe. Next iteration is going to add in Amarillo; we also like some Warrior up front to give more punch (an area the Columbus is a bit weak in), and Citra right at the end for better nose.

Precious few IPAs IMO even come close... smoothness and subtlety, instead of going a few rounds with an MMA champ... ;)

I did an all Columbus CA common. I liked it but it needed a tad more dimension in the late additions. My two cents...

Back