favorite bourbons?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krenshaw

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
for all your bourbon drinkers out there, just curious to see what kinds you're a fan of.. please only make this about bourbons, or at least american whiskeys.. i've tried numerous canadian and scotch whiskeys and just can't get a taste for it.. not enough "uummpphhh" in the bite that i like..

i think makers mark is my favorite go-to because by me its only like $25 but tastes in the range of the $35-40 types..

Technically not bourbon, since it comes out of Utah, but High West Distillery makes some great stuff. I like the Rendezvous Rye.

for all your bourbon drinkers out there, just curious to see what kinds you're a fan of.. please only make this about bourbons, or at least american whiskeys.. i've tried numerous canadian and scotch whiskeys and just can't get a taste for it.. not enough "uummpphhh" in the bite that i like..

strange, I go to bourbon when I want something easy drinking without the bite of scotch whisky....

bulleit is pretty good, my favorite has to be Redemption High Rye bourbon. Willett pot still is also excellent, very smooth.

It's been a while since I have really drank much Bourbon, and I know there are a lot more small batch/ single barrel/ top shelf ones out there now, but my standards are
basil hayden is probably my favorite.
Wilford Reserve is IMHO the best bang for the buck, for something smooth enough to sip neat
Wild Turkey is my standard for mixed drink (usually Coke or Diet Coke)
Booker's is not bad, but for me it's a little on the hot side, defaintly needs to be on the Rocks to cool it down some.

Makers Mark is my go to one because of the Cost to Quality Ratio. When I'm feeling spendy I buy Knob Creek, Knob is definitely my favorite but its just too expensive to keep on hand all the time.

ah bookers.. probably the best out there for me.. but you sure do pay for it..

motobrewer, if you haven't had a good bourbon burn, try some bookers.. that's one of the only ones i do put on the rocks as well

I drink more Blanton's than any other. Booker's is one of my favorites but needs a a dash of water. The "just finished" bottle was 130.1 proof, next ones are 127.4 and 127.9 proof. Knob Creek is great for the vanilla/caramel flavors and Knob Creek Single Barrel is even more pronounced. Baker's and Buffalo Trace are good. I don't care for Basil Hayden or Eagle Rare. Bulleit and Old Rip Van Winkle are gross. Jeffersons is very floral. My wife LOVES Maker's Mark.

Another one for Maker's! Can't get enough of that stuff! If I'm looking to save a little I'll go with Evan Williams or Ezra Brooks.

Whatever you do, stay away from Early Times! Blah

34038113949006420376293.jpg

By zjosey at 2012-07-02

Blanton's. Typically it's beer or scotch. I turned a friend on to Blanton's and now it's all his wife will drink. He swears at me regularly.

that's one i've been meaning to try.. same price as bookers so someday i'll get to it.. we used to have like 10 different ones at home, but we drank them all and never replenished :-( now i just have a new 1792 that i haven't opened yet

We keep a nice supply of Knob Creek in the house, both the regular and the small batch version for special occasions. If I'm out and they don't have KC, I go for the Makers.

A thread close to my heart. I always drink it on the rocks. For the last 2-3 years I've had 3 bourbons around with only a couple rules to guide new purchases:
1) the bottle has to be corked
2) one bottle is in the $20-$30 range, one is $30-$45, and one is $50+

The ordered list of what I like is below (combination of taste and price):
Blantons*
Bookers
Willet Family Reserve (I think this is the same as Willet Pot Still but am not sure)
Basil Haydens*
Buffalo Trace*
Baker's
Woodford Reserve Sweetmash
Noah's Mill
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Woodford Reserve
Gentlemans Jack
Jeffersons
Eagle Rare
Rowan's Creek
Knob Creek
Maker's Mark

* means if I had to have 3 around following my rules, these would be it. I'd also freely trade out Bookers for Blantons.

The Rowan's Creek (12 yr), Noah's Mill (15 yr) and one called Vintage Bourbon (17 yr) are all made by the same distiller and is the only "flight" I've found. Based on the difference between the 12 and 15, I expect the vintage to rank above Bakers but haven't opened it yet.

For my taste, Makers is only good as a mixer, Knob Creek is too harsh for the flavor it brings to the table. Woodford is very smooth but not complex enough. Great beginners bourbon. Baker's is really good flavor but harsh. And if I'm on a budget, Basil Haydens is the hands down winner, with Buffalo Trace a close second.

Oh forgot to mention I've had the Evan Williams that fit my rules in a bar once but it was the only time I have ever sent a drink back. So bad its almost not worth mentioning.

I'm glad I found this thread, I just started to really take a liking to bourbon. I think you guys have covered most of mine though.

Makers
Foresters
Elijah Craig
Knob Creek
Buffalo Trace
Dickel
Wild Turkey

More of a scotch or tequila drinker for straight liquor or canadian whisky for mixed drinks but maker's mark is good bourbon. I keep meaning to try some of the Balcones products (they are supplying the nation's homebrewers with 5 and 10 gallon barrels) as well as the Rogue Dead Guy whisky and single malt. (I realize the Rogue liquors are not bourbon...)

Blantons for me . Fairly expensive here though

Wild Turkey is good too, also same price as some decent single malts but I like it

I love Bourbon!! !!!!!! !!! !

SWMBO has mandated that I am not allowed to purchase another bottle of whiskey...until I kill one that I have and then I can buy an equivalently priced bottle.

So far I have found the following loopholes:
1. If I am gifted a bottle of whiskey it makes my rotation larger :)
2. If I can get a really good deal on a bottle one time then I can purchase a better bottle the next time.
3. I usually have a <5$ range to choose a bottle from, so if I go up a few bucks a time I get better and better whiskey!
4. She has no idea how much each whiskey is, so I can occasionally cheat (shhhhhhh).

I currently have (for Bourbons)
1. Corner Creek - A little spicy, heavy american oak on the first kiss and settles with a mild burn and somewhat complex on the after taste. About 20$/750 if my memory serves.
2. Bulleit - A bit less sweet than many bourbons, definitely has some spice. Good flavor but generally lacks the complexity that makes a great bourbon. I generally use this for old fashioneds when I am not in the mood for my whiskey neat (95%+ of the time). Low 20$'s/750, I believe.
3. Eagle Rare!!!!! - This is one of my favorites and a constant companion. I will ALWAYS have a bottle of Eagle Rare in my bar. It is also the only Bourbon that makes that cut. Heavy oak is the first thing that you will notice, both on the nose and the first kiss. This tempers any spiciness, but don't worry it is there! Overall this has a very balanced profile and while you will notice the spice and the oak neither will completely dominate. It is a complex bourbon that will tingle on your tongue for a while after you finish a sip. It is also somewhat sweet. 30$/750
4. Four Roses - I used to have Woodford in this slot, but based upon my enjoyment of that, I had Four Roses suggested at roughly the same price point. A very sweet bourbon with a hint of maple syrup on the nose. Very light on the tongue and a minimum of spice, though enough to enjoy it. Great complexity that leaves a hint of black cherry on the palate with the after taste. $35ish/750
5. Basil Haydens - Needs no description. Deliciousness in a glass. 55$/750

Buffalo Trace for me when I'm looking for a good value. Knob Creek falls under the same category but is a little more pricey where I live. Makers Mark rounds out my most common three purchases when it comes to American bourbon.

When money is not an issue and it's time to splurge then it's The Balvenie DoubleWood time!

5. Basil Haydens - Needs no description. Deliciousness in a glass. 55$/750

eh.. i pity where you live.. basil haydens is usually like $35-$40 here.. i thought PA had the worst prices but apparently not..

i did open the 1792 last night and was pleasantly surprised.. been a while since i had a new one so my taste may be a little off, but was pretty good using my whiskey stones.. if you don't have any of those they are a great investment for the bourbon drinker.. makes it cold but doesn't water it down..

whiskey stones

Last edited by a moderator:
looking forward to hopefully trying this someday.. a type of boston beer whiskey.. a 3rd party is buying up a bunch of sam adams and distilling it into whiskey.. curious to see how it stacks up to some of my favorities

From the article:
Whiskey is a spirit distilled from beer, although distillers usually use a bland brew that is not intended for drinking.

I'd argue that Sam Adams Boston Lager fits that definition to a T.

there are a few examples of distilled beer around. bier schnapps

a local distillery here takes Lakefront Pumpkin Lager and distills it. Altho they have Lakefront brew some without hops. First year they tried it they took straight fermented hopped beer, and the hops really killed it. Anyway it's really good, Great Lakes Pumpkin Spirit. i got about a half bottle left.

From the article:

I'd argue that Sam Adams Boston Lager fits that definition to a T.

ha.. i am happy in the wintertime when they have their winter classics out.. old fezziwig is one of my favorite seasonal beers out of any brand, though probably partly because it only comes in the variety case so i only get 4 per case.. :confused:

Basil Hayden's is my favorite. Not the most potent but absolutely delicious and smooth. Knob creek and makers are standards and some good ole JB when the money is tight.

When I'm not on bourbon it scotch (Dalwhinnie 15) or Irish whiskey (red breast).

there are a few examples of distilled beer around. bier schnapps

a local distillery here takes Lakefront Pumpkin Lager and distills it. Altho they have Lakefront brew some without hops. First year they tried it they took straight fermented hopped beer, and the hops really killed it. Anyway it's really good, Great Lakes Pumpkin Spirit. i got about a half bottle left.

I recall reading about some small distillery making hopped whiskey from an IPA and supposedly it is quite good. I know Rogue also makes "dead guy whisky" using the same grains but I suspect the recipe is different from the beer and certainly lacking the hops.

there's also hopquila from New Holland. very interesting stuff. they do a few other things as well. doesn't bell's distil? I thought they did.

Back