Plastic fermenter smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjlasota

Reaction score
Have a couple 5 gallon brew buckets I've fermented a few beers in. I'm getting ready to brew another batch and noticed the bucket smells like rotten milk. I clean all my gear thoroughly before and after each batch. I've tried scrubbing after noticing the small with a non-abrasive cloth, and the smell still lingers. Any suggestions on what to do and why my ale pails smell like a rotten animal?

I'd suggest filling them up with very hot water and oxyclean free.

Let them sit and soak for a few hours. Mine started to smell after their first use too but I wouldn't describe it like you have lol.

I had this smell. I soaked in hot bleach water. Got rid of it. Also air dried it throughly.

Probably not a great time of the year to try it, but nothing works better than sunlight to get rid of odors in plastic fermenters.

We aren't having much of a winter here in sw Michigan, so if the chemicals don't work, I'll try the sun. Thanks

Huge redwings fan! Big game tonight. Dads a huge hawks fan so we have some family competition. New buffalo is right around the lake. It's basically a tourist town. 3 people on my street live there year round. Everyone else rents their houses to Chicago people.

Back