Spiking gravity in caribou slobber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerhermit

Reaction score
Thinking of brewing some caribou slobber and adding molasses to up the O.G. Question is should I add more hops to balance the sweetness? If so, what would people suggest? Also, would I need a different yeast then the one suggested in the kit or a double pitch or a starter? Thanks for any help!

It all depends on how much molasses you add. a pound will probly raise the gravity about 10 points. for that you don't necessarily need to add more hops unless you want to. a normal yeast starter or the proper amount of dry yeast should also be sufficient for that much of a gravity change.

Oh cool, your making it easy on me, thanks for the info duder! Any other suggestions as far as making a 'bigger' brown with caribou slobber as my starting point?

you could use maple syrup or brown sugar instead of or with the molasses. If you really want it to be kinda different throw some bourbon in there after fermentation is done. that would make it similar to nb's bourbon barrel porter recipe.

Sounds like a plan... I just did a stout and added 400ml of bourbon soaking with cherries....how much bourbon would you toss in to a 5 gallon batch. My stout is still carbonating but I tasted it and I worry that the amount I used has gone from ' subtle' to just 'non-existent'....

Molasses can vary in sugar content. Maple is not very cost effective for flavor. Unless you can find the darkest lowest grade which is tough. Most maple is either grade a or b...The lower the grade the better because it will be less refined and have more color/flavor.

Molasses will give a very syrupy body...I used two pounds in a stout...it turned out fabulous the head retention was very low but it had excellent carbonation and mouthfeel. It fermented dry but left a very viscous finish. I'd say go for the molasses but remember the byproducts are not as fermentable as pure table sugar.

Still Molasses is a darn good adjunct. Black strap can add a bitter astringent character without the need to use black patent malt but it will also add some sweetness. Good luck. I'd use at least 1LB but some people will call me crazy for suggesting that.

Any residual sweetness won't hurt.

Hey thought I'd let you guys know where I landed on this. Decided to add 23.5 oz raw agave nectar as well as 1oz cascade at 15 min in an attempt to balance it out. Plugged it into beercalculus and ended up with 1.062 o.g. And 43.5 IBU. Brewing tonight....will let u know how this agave brown turns out.

Back