Analog JC from cold to hot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJC16

Reaction score
Is there a way convert an analog JC from cold to hot?

Thanks

??????

What?

I'm guesing Johnson controller. Don't they have a NO and NC contact on the relay so it is basically which one you connect to determines whether it is for cooling or heating - don't quote me on that!

Johnson controller.
That explains a lot. The OP 'AJC16' asked a question about an 'analog JC'.

Sorry for getting old and senile. I had not a clue so I figured?

I'm done...

Johnson controller.
That explains a lot. The OP 'AJC16' asked a question about an 'analog JC'.

Sorry for getting old and senile. I had not a clue so I figured?

I'm done...

No no no PJ, you are not getting old or senile (well at least not are far as I can tell from behind my computer screen :D. I am just completly taking a stab in the dark that is what he (or she) meant!
That is really the only thing I can think of that is analogue and has to do with homebrewing with the initials JC.

Is there a way convert an analog JC from cold to hot?

Thanks

Yes. The analog Johnson controllers typically have an internal double throw switch. There are three terminals on the switch. The center one is usually covered with a small plastic plug which is easily removed. Move the Black wire from the top terminal to the center terminal and put the plug in the now vacant top terminal. This will result in the switch turning on with a temperature drop for heating use. This is not explained in the users manual. I have seen at least on analog Johnson (a vintage one) that used a single throw switch, but all of the more recent models have the double throw type.

Did it and it works great! Made life easier for fermentation in my garage in the winter.

Back