Picnic Tap Crowd

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgo737

Reaction score
So I just got my kegerator setup with picnic taps. I plan on drinking a beer or 2 every night or so from it. What do you do with the taps in between use? I presume it is ok to leave them connected? Does it matter that there's beer in the tubing?

I know this is a dumb question but just wanted to make sure...

Mine is always connected and I've not had any trouble. In fact, I don't clean it as often as I should and it still works famously. I keep the tap and all the tubing in the keezer so there is no light and no thermal differences.

I keep mine connected and ready to go all the time as well. I use a retractable key chain thing to keep the taps hanging where I need them too.

Shouldn't you just leave the taps sitting in a bowl of Star San (at proper concentration of course) in between uses?

+1 on just keeping everythig in the freezer connected and ready to go. I assume the beer/alcohol in the tubing keeps things sterilized :) Once the keg is kicked then I clean the keg and the lines. Seems to be working just fine. Montanaandy

I like the retractable keychain idea....what do you mount that to?

So far I've only had one keg finished & all i did is hook the picnic tap & hose up to a keg pressurized with starsan & pumped out the beer....i then dunked both ends in some starsan & hung the hose up for next use primed with starsan.

I would recommend closing the tap between uses, other than that don't worry.

If beer went bad at room temp we would all be dead.

I use the little wire basket that came with my freezer to hold the taps. I put a Tuperware container in there and the picnic taps sit in that when not in use, keeps them from dripping anything onto the regulator located below.

I keep mine connected. I would suggest that if you are going to force carb at a high pressure (say 30 PSI), that you disconnect the liquid fitting. I have had a picnic tap drip when connected under high pressure.

My kegerator is...odd. I got the fridge off CL cheap. The fridge part does not work (bad fan), but the freezer does. So, the guy I got it from just cut a hole between the freezer and fridge compartments. The whole thing, top and bottom, is a "fridge" now.

I enlarged the hole and covered it with a grill, so I can use the freezer space for bottles.

The grill is perfect for hanging taps from the bottom.

RogerMcAllen
If beer went bad at room temp we would all be dead.
Very funny - I sprayed a little bit of spittle on my computer screen when I read that.

As for picnic taps, I use one all the time and only disconnect when the keg is tapped. Sometimes I will even clean it. A word of caution, I read a post where a guy closed his kegerater door and the door squeezed the picnic tap and the contents of his keg emptied inside his kegerater. I'm sure this is a very bad thing and should be avoided.

Keep mine connected all the time as well (7 of them). I just coil the hose up on top of the keg so if the tap drips, it'll just drip on top of the keg.

@ lyacovett
I just set mine up with the retractable key chains. I thought I was the smartest dude ever and it was the best idea. Then got on BHT to post about it but did a quick search first to see if it had been done before. You beat me to it which is no surprise because it works awesome! I just put the key ring around the hose by the cobra and clipped the reel on the lid handle with the cord running the through the rubber handle hole.

@ lyacovett
I just set mine up with the retractable key chains. I thought I was the smartest dude ever and it was the best idea. Then got on BHT to post about it but did a quick search first to see if it had been done before. You beat me to it which is no surprise because it works awesome! I just put the key ring around the hose by the cobra and clipped the reel on the lid handle with the cord running the through the rubber handle hole.

I can't picture this at all. Can you take a picture, and post it, so I can see what you did?

I have three regular faucets, but I have room for 5 kegs and sometimes use cobra taps for the fourth beer, or for a soda. I would love to find a way to make it more convenient to pour a pint from the cobra tap.

Back