first batch in bottles :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cshort4

Reaction score
Got my first batch in the dark closet in the basement. Is 68 okay for conditioning? It seemed a little thin, but have read it will continue to change in the bottle, and not sure my mouth is used to beer without carbonation (Oatmeal Stout SG 1.045 FG 1.018)

I also read a lot of brewers had trouble with Muntons yeast not getting much lower, so I feel pretty good.

My goal was to drink this batch Mid October for my 40th birthday bash. I'm sure I will sneak in a few before that. Thanks for everyones help and encouragement.

Three more weeks and I will be ready to bottle my porter :)

Congrats, If you are planning on leaving them for a month, 68 will be just fine. 1.018 doesn't sound too high for an oatmeal stout, it is a pretty full bodied beer.

Extra congrats on making your second beer before the first one is drinkable! Establishing a pipeline makes practicing patience much easier!

68 should be fine, usually when you condition the bottles you want them at a higher temperature.

Got my first batch in the dark closet in the basement. Is 68 okay for conditioning? It seemed a little thin, but have read it will continue to change in the bottle, and not sure my mouth is used to beer without carbonation (Oatmeal Stout SG 1.045 FG 1.018)

I also read a lot of brewers had trouble with Muntons yeast not getting much lower, so I feel pretty good.

My goal was to drink this batch Mid October for my 40th birthday bash. I'm sure I will sneak in a few before that. Thanks for everyones help and encouragement.

Three more weeks and I will be ready to bottle my porter :)

If it's your first beer, you'll be forgiven for popping one every week or so to see how it's progressing. This can actually help you learn how beer progresses as it ages. My first seemed very thin when it went to bottle, and for some reason I still don't understand, it just thickened right up after about a month. Just don't expect too much carbonation before week 4 or 5, and if you're disappointed by then, leave them alone and try another one in a week or two.

I have 2 six's of my first batch left. They're about 6 weeks old now and getting better and better. My second batch has been in the bottle about 10 days and my 3rd has been in fermenter a week today. Can't remember when the last time I had this much fun. I ordered another fermenter bucket this week. I'm gonna get that pipeline full!!!!!

I ordered another fermenter bucket this week. I'm gonna get that pipeline full!!!!!

I think it is only fair to warn you... It starts with another fermenting bucket, then you are getting carboys and better bottles. Next thing you know the pipeline is not only full, but clogged. Then you buy more bottles and then kegs. Don't say you weren't warned.

Back