Question about hops...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lnxusr

Reaction score
I'm just finished my third brew, Midwest's Cologne Kolsch. While cleaning up, I got to wondering about the hops. My first brew, I just dumped the pellet hops in the boil. This, of course, resulted in the hops staying in the wort during fermenting. For the last two, I used a nylon hop bag and at the end of the boil, removed the bags and threw away the hops.

Was this wrong? Should the hop bags have been left in during the fermenting period? Have I mess up my last two brews?

You did the right thing by taking the bag out. Some people prefer using a bag to keep the hop particles out of the beer, others just dump the hops right in. So you didn't do anything wrong, just chose a different method.

Thanks marubozo. The instructions with the kits say nothing about taking the hops out even if you use a bag. I'm glad I didn't mess anything up.

I defiantly noticed a drop in trub quantity in my second brew. That was the main reason I decided to use boil bags.

I don't use boil bags... however, I also have a tun of crap in boilpot and it typically takes a while to put it into my fermenter through a strainer.

but nothing was done wrong in either of your brews.

Back