Lowenbrau clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rethin

Reaction score
I recently got my hands on a case of Lowenbrau. Its been quite a while since I've had this beer and I've got to say, I really enjoyed it. Nice clean malty taste, low in hops, easy drinking. Quite different than the strong hoppy ales I've been brewing up.

So it got me thinking. Winter is coming up. Temps are getting low I'd sure like to give a lager a try and this is a taste I want to go for.

I live in Japan, and my ingredients list is kind of limited (ie, I can't order a kit). I'm an extract brewer but do mini mashes from time to time (so the base malts will have to be liquid malt).

So how do I get started making a recipe for this?

Thanks

Rethin

You're going to clone.....Blowin'-chow?!?!

If you want the same taste, bottle in clear glass. That way you'll get the same light-struck, skunky flavor.

Really though,try starting with a gravity in the 1.040's and use Hallertau or Saaz added only at 60 minutes. Any specialty grains should be light, nothing too heavy or dark. Experiment from there!

ALPS said:
You're going to clone.....Blowin'-chow?!?!

If you want the same taste, bottle in clear glass. That way you'll get the same light-struck, skunky flavor.

Wow man, don't know what you were drinking, but it doesn't sound like what I had last night.

According to wikipedia, there is a Miller brewed version of Lowenbrau, perhaps this is where you're getting this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lowenbrau

A true Helles has no nuts or Vienna malt. No German beer has nuts in it for that matter.

You may want to look for something a little more credible as a recipe.

Latest posts

Back