Forgot to crush the corriander

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulive

Reaction score
I added .35oz of uncrushed corriander to my Wit. Since it wasn't crushed I'm going to add some more spice tea to the fermenter. Should I count the .35oz I already added or is it useless? I'm looking for .5oz total, so should I use .5 or .15 ounces?

It will probably add a bit of flavor. It may take longer so I would say don't count it too much toward the final taste unless you plan on letting it (the uncrushed coriander) sit for some time.

What is your plan for overall fermentation? Are you going to rack to a new vessel at some point? Bottle straight away from the vessel it is in?

If you plan to rack to a new vessel wait until then, taste it. If it is too your liking don't worry. If it does not have enough add some tea at that point. If you are going to bottle (or keg) from this vessel, well, same deal. I do not recommend "dry herbing" btw. Herbs do not have the same acidic/antiseptic properties of hops and can carry some funk on them. Speaking from experience there... :cross:

It will probably add a bit of flavor. It may take longer so I would say don't count it too much toward the final taste unless you plan on letting it (the uncrushed coriander) sit for some time.

What is your plan for overall fermentation? Are you going to rack to a new vessel at some point? Bottle straight away from the vessel it is in?

If you plan to rack to a new vessel wait until then, taste it. If it is too your liking don't worry. If it does not have enough add some tea at that point. If you are going to bottle (or keg) from this vessel, well, same deal. I do not recommend "dry herbing" btw. Herbs do not have the same acidic/antiseptic properties of hops and can carry some funk on them. Speaking from experience there... :cross:

The beer is already done fermenting. I tasted the hydro sample earlier today and there was no corriander taste. I'm thinking the uncrushed didn't contribute much at all. I'll just wait until its kegged and carbed. If it still needs spice, I'll add it to the keg...

Did the exact same thing with my last wit. Did not get any corriander flavor in the beer. Still turned out nice, but just not the same.

Back