Irish Red Ale Raging Red Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As promised, pics!

First pour, lil foamy.

red01-57951.jpg

Let there be LIGHT!

red02-57952.jpg

5 seconds later...

red03-57953.jpg

Brewed this today as my first all-grain batch. Switched up the hops a little bit, as my LHBS didnt have crystal. Ended up at about 1.065. Boiled off more than I thought I would, so ended up wit ha flat 5 gallons into the fermenter.

Thanks for the recipe. I'll see you in a month.

Thanks for posting up this recipe. I will be picking up my ingredients today from my LHBS in hopes of brewing this Sunday, and have already ordered the caraaroma from homebrew warehouse as recommended.

One question I have is since this recipe calls for dry yeast, no yeast starter is required, is this correct? If you were to use liquid yeast, which strain would you use, and how long would you let it ferment? Wanting to get some practice in for yeast starters as I've only made it once.

Thanks!

Thanks for posting up this recipe. I will be picking up my ingredients today from my LHBS in hopes of brewing this Sunday, and have already ordered the caraaroma from homebrew warehouse as recommended.

One question I have is since this recipe calls for dry yeast, no yeast starter is required, is this correct? If you were to use liquid yeast, which strain would you use, and how long would you let it ferment? Wanting to get some practice in for yeast starters as I've only made it once.

Thanks!

the recipe calls for Whitelabs WLP001 California Ale yeast which is a liquid yeast. When I make a starter I make a 1.040 gravity wort using water and extract. I normally make 1 quart for ale and 2 quarts for lager. I use a stir plate and it's ready to pitch in 24 hours. without a stir plate I would let it go for 48-72 hours and then pitch the entire starter. If you wanted to skip the starter use US-05 dry yeast.

if you don't have a stir plate they're easy to make. I followed these directions https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-stirplate-cheap-easy-build-86252/

the recipe calls for Whitelabs WLP001 California Ale yeast which is a liquid yeast. When I make a starter I make a 1.040 gravity wort using water and extract. I normally make 1 quart for ale and 2 quarts for lager. I use a stir plate and it's ready to pitch in 24 hours. without a stir plate I would let it go for 48-72 hours and then pitch the entire starter. If you wanted to skip the starter use US-05 dry yeast.

if you don't have a stir plate they're easy to make. I followed these directions https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-stirplate-cheap-easy-build-86252/

Much obliged for the response. Also, thanks for including the link on building a stir plate. This will be very helpful. Now off to my LHBS.

I've brewed this recipe twice with a different recipe called Better Red Than Dead in between. While BRTD is very nice, my buddies and I all feel Raging Red is the better brew. It's definitely a regular on my brew list. Thanks for posting!

Bottled this on December 22nd 2012 after a 4 week primary. O.G was 1.07 and F.G is 1.02 giving me about 6.55% ABV and 71% attenuation with WL004 Irish Ale Yeast. It has a noticeable sweetness to it that I'd like to dry out just a touch next time around. Other than that it's very smooth, smells and tastes delicious. A definite brew again!

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

Thanks for the recipe! I brewed this weekend with us-05 & marris otter. Not sure my efficiency was great but eneded up at 1.056 OG, did BIAB starting w 8 gallons of water.
Also used my first ever harvest of my homegrown cascade hops, frozen and dried. Will see.
Thanks to all the posts.

ive been sitting ij my lhbs parking lot waiting for them to open.(shoulda been open 40 min ago... smh)
in that time ive decided i will also try the marris otter and us05. if the store ever opens that is. ugh

wth. they didnt open til it was too late for me!
i cannot wait til saturday to brew this , but im gonna have too.
i typically like APAs IPAs yet this beer seems really appealing to me and as others have mentioned i think i will make an IPA using this grain bill. IRIPA lol

wth. they didnt open til it was too late for me!
i cannot wait til saturday to brew this , but im gonna have too.
i typically like APAs IPAs yet this beer seems really appealing to me and as others have mentioned i think i will make an IPA using this grain bill. IRIPA lol

that brew store needs to be smacked around for making you wait!

I've done this recipe with a more aggressive hopping and dry hopping to make it more like a red IPA.. turned out pretty good.

Finally brewed tonight...

OG just over 1.054 (first time batch sparging)...smells very nice and gravity reading tasted very promising!!

Thanks for sharing this recipe Mysticmead...I look forward to enjoying this a month or so from now as there is no doubt in my mind that this will be a very, very tasty crafted brew. :mug:

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!!

2013-01-25_21-35-22_8.jpg

2013-01-25_20-20-48_173.jpg

just finished making this too!
OG was only 1052
i went to the store and the only honey on the shelf was a 12oz container.
im guessing the missing 4oz of honey and a ****ty sparge are my troubles. next time!
the wort smelled good and the color looked deep red.
it is well aerated and i pitched the yeast with some "yeast energizer" powdered stuff my lhbs had sitting on the shelf.
GO YEAST, GO!!!

just finished making this too!
OG was only 1052
i went to the store and the only honey on the shelf was a 12oz container.
im guessing the missing 4oz of honey and a ****ty sparge are my troubles. next time!
the wort smelled good and the color looked deep red.
it is well aerated and i pitched the yeast with some "yeast energizer" powdered stuff my lhbs had sitting on the shelf.
GO YEAST, GO!!!

I bet you still end up with a hell of a beer.

Sounds like most let this ferment about 4 weeks...do you rack to secondary, or just leave in primary and then to keg at 4 weeks? Not sure if that would affect color/clarity?

I put together a partial mash a few days ago, and it's fermenting along quite well.

Used this recipe from earlier in the thread. I ran out of honey, and skimped a little on the water. At the end, I had an OG of ~1.06

Mashed in a few minutes ago on a 15 gallon batch of this for St. Patricks Day! LHBS didn't have Cascade :)drunk:) so I'm using Centennial for my 30 minute addition.

I brew your receipe today! I replace the 2 Row with Maris Otter! Smell really good and deep red color! I'll taste em in few months...I have a really good feeling! Thank You!

good substitution on the hops! let me know how it turns out.

Will do. Just a question about the honey: When you were making the recipe, did you really want a honey flavor to come through, or were you more going for the gravity points and to dry it out?

I just ask because I've never heard of honey in a Red. I went with the flameout addition as opposed to adding it post fermentation because I didn't want that in your face honey flavor.

Will do. Just a question about the honey: When you were making the recipe, did you really want a honey flavor to come through, or were you more going for the gravity points and to dry it out?

I just ask because I've never heard of honey in a Red. I went with the flameout addition as opposed to adding it post fermentation because I didn't want that in your face honey flavor.

it's mainly for the points and to dry it out a bit.

How much water do you use for the strike and sparge?

this was done BIAB.. I used ALL the water needed during mash (7.5 gallons).. since it was BIAB there was no sparge. If you are doing a traditional 3 vessel mash/sparge then use the appropriate amount of water for mashing and sparging based on your equipment.

I mash at 1.5 qts/lb and sparge until I get my desired preboil. For this, doing a 15 gallon batch, I mashed with 11.25 pounds, then sparged until I got to 15 gallons. I boil in a keggle, then just topped off with water after my boil to get to 16.5 in fermentors.

I'm serving this keg on the 16th, going to lager this on gelatin for the next week and rack to keg the week prior to force carb.

1 month in the bucket is just days away. Hoping to keg this brew this weekend...that's IF my kegs I just purchased come by then. :)

Oh yeah, I also dry hopped with Galena hops for last two weeks.

I make a new recipe of an Irish red every year and this one has been by far my favorite! The melanoiden malt is an amazing addition. It creates a beautiful deep red, but also gives it a depth of malt character I didn't expect. I did change up the hopping schedule to 50 IBU and only used Centennial because I love that hop. Even at 50 IBU the malt character is very prevalent.

Great recipe! Pic to follow tonight.

I make a new recipe of an Irish red every year and this one has been by far my favorite! The melanoiden malt is an amazing addition. It creates a beautiful deep red, but also gives it a depth of malt character I didn't expect. I did change up the hopping schedule to 50 IBU and only used Centennial because I love that hop. Even at 50 IBU the malt character is very prevalent.

Great recipe! Pic to follow tonight.

GREAT!! Glad ya like it!

Curious, did anyone adjust their water for this? I ended up using baking soda, epsom salt, and gypsum to get it close to an Ireland water profile.

Couple iPhone photos, not the best quality. This was in Primary for 24 days, cold crashed for 4 days, and kegged about 2 months ago. Looks great but batch is off a bit, was my first batch with a grain mill and I overshot OG by 10 points, which caused yeast to under attenuate since I didn't have a starter. And didn't have enough hops to balance it out better.

CEB6DB58-2F61-4500-94F1-1FB10B0FCAC9-101-00000000942CE284.jpg

5D985574-4A52-4A15-8385-6B98BE3CE91F-101-0000000072B1FB87.jpg

Back