testing a 240 outlet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutty_gnome

Reaction score
I've got a multimeter.

I have an outlet with 3 openings spaced 60deg around the outer edge with a hole in the middle (which may be for a recessed screw? can't see into it it is out of the way behind a dryer).

I think it looks a LOT like this: http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/Edward67/2007-12-05_204620_dryer_outlet.jpg

It is wired into the panel but I haven't taken the panel apart to see whats up. Is there a simple way to test if the outlet is live with 220 or 240v using the multimeter? If so, what goes where and what reading would I be looking for?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Set your multimeter to Voltage - AC; shove the red probe into one of the openings; shove the black probe into another opening; wiggle probes around while watching meter to see if you get a reading.

I didn't find any power in it with the multimeter. And now it looks like a relic from the last version of the electric panel. oh well. Thanks for the input.

Back