1st try all grain FAIL....!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plate

Reaction score
8 lbs esb pale malt
5 lbs biscuit malt
2 lbs crystal 60L
1 lbs cara pils

2 oz galena hops
2 oz nugget hops

Brewed to perfection....

Chilled with impatience.....

1 broken carboy.....

So sad

fail3.jpg

Wow! I never thought chilling it like that would bust the carboy. Did you go from hot wort into carboy directly to ice bath? Or did you bonk the carboy into something a bit while it was chilling?

Sorry for the loss :(

Well at least we learned something here, thats gota suck. I am truly sorry for your loss.

it was about 3.5gals hot wort + 1gal cold then into bath.... guess it wasnt cool enough

Wow. That sucks.
It's sad to see the carboy gone, but real sad to see a beer go so young...
So, is a chiller on your short list now?

Its on my list but not the wifes...

A new pot is first.... then maybe then a chiller.... gotta get approval first

plate said:
Its on my list but not the wifes..

Man I'm glad I'm divorced!
There was never any money for my hobbies, but we always seemed to be able to afford a field full of horses and all the bills that came with them.

Now I've got an empty field and the only one that gets to cut into my budget is my seven year old daughter.
I don't mind her cutting into my budget.

She does always say "are you stopping at the beer store again? ", but as long as we bring home another Barbie she doesn't care that I spent $150 at the homebrew store!

Note to self: Bitter cold Montana winters and a carboy are NOT a good idea for chilling!

I'm sorry for you and your beer. Tough to go through all that work just to see it on the ground. May your next beer be twice the ABV and your yeast exceptionally productive!

That really stinks! Sorry to hear.

One thing I did notice in your recipe though was 5# of Biscuit malt in a 16# grain bill. That is over 30% biscuit which is recommended to a max of about 15%.

IMHO, I'd dial it back a bit and add more base malt. Just a thought.

Dave

Back